[e5-575g] Laptop not detecting its dedicated graphics card (NVIDIA GeForce 940MX)?!?

xMooN_66
xMooN_66 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all!,

as said above my laptop is not detecting its dedicated graphics card. The laptop is about 1 year old. The interesting thing about this issue is that I have never used graphic intensive stuff on this laptop, as I only play games on my PC, and on this Acer laptop I only do stuff for school like presentations. To be honest the laptop works perfectly fine, but today I saw that the dedicated GPU is not detected at all (even in the device manager). What I have tried is following;

1. reinstalled Windows 10
2. upgraded BIOS to 1.47
3. tried to install nvidia drivers (error: no compatible graphics hardware detected)

The Intel HD Graphics 520 (integrated) is working perfectly fine, but the dedicated GPU is not even shown as "3D video controller".

Is there anything I can do about it? I do not have any warranty on this laptop, it's already expired :( 

p.s.: now I really need a laptop with a dedicated GPU for school :D 

Thanks in advance for any answer :)))

Answers

• xenosplat
    xenosplat Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited August 2019
    I had this same problem and was able to fix it by doing the following. Search for device manager in cortana. Look for Display adapters and disable your Intel graphics card, the screen will shut off but It forced the gpu to run instead of intel's HD graphics. Then re-enable Intel HD graphics and hopefully it works for you :)
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

xenosplat said:
    I had this same problem and was able to fix it by doing the following. Search for device manager in cortana. Look for Display adapters and disable your Intel graphics card, the screen will shut off but It forced the gpu to run instead of intel's HD graphics. Then re-enable Intel HD graphics and hopefully it works for you :)
    Hi @xenosplat ! I did what you've said, but still, it's not detected. it's still like this: 

Thanks in advance
  • xenosplat
    Sorry to hear that didnt work. I found a link maybe you could use? https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-nvidia-graphics-card-not-showing-device-manager/ . Let me know how that goes
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

xenosplat said:
    Sorry to hear that didnt work. I found a link maybe you could use? https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-nvidia-graphics-card-not-showing-device-manager/ . Let me know how that goes

It didn't work, but thanks for helping. I think that the hardware is dead :D
  • xenosplat
    :disappointed: one last shot maybe this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXyatAer0k
  • The_Bruh
    The_Bruh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hi guys. I never upgrade my Acer Nitro 5 since i bought it because I just use it for assignment because I am a Bachelor student. Now I plan to be a gamer but I do not know anything about this. I plan to upgrade my Acer Nitro 5 Ram as a started but there is a several problems that I dont understand and hope someone can help me with this questions. 1) Can I upgrade my RAM from 4gb to 16 or must go to 8 first? 2) Can anyone suggest me what brand or type of RAM that i should buy because I never upgrade my laptop before. I hope someone can help this newbie gamer 🙂
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

xenosplat said:
    Hi! Nothing worked :( I tried everything possible but no way, it's not working. The card is not even detected in the PCI Express bus listed as #9 PCI EXpress Root Port. I think the hardware is dead, but I wonder: If the hardware is dead, why does the laptop still power on? I mean, it's a missing part from the heart of the laptop...
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

The_Bruh said:
    Hi guys. I never upgrade my Acer Nitro 5 since i bought it because I just use it for assignment because I am a Bachelor student. Now I plan to be a gamer but I do not know anything about this. I plan to upgrade my Acer Nitro 5 Ram as a started but there is a several problems that I dont understand and hope someone can help me with this questions. 1) Can I upgrade my RAM from 4gb to 16 or must go to 8 first? 2) Can anyone suggest me what brand or type of RAM that i should buy because I never upgrade my laptop before. I hope someone can help this newbie gamer 🙂
    Hi! I think your laptop is supporting 16GB of DDR4-RAM (or not even more), so you could upgrade it in a 2x8GB configuration. Could you give me the exact model number of your laptop?
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    xMooN_66 said:
    xenosplat said:
    Hi! Nothing worked :( I tried everything possible but no way, it's not working. The card is not even detected in the PCI Express bus listed as #9 PCI EXpress Root Port. I think the hardware is dead, but I wonder: If the hardware is dead, why does the laptop still power on? I mean, it's a missing part from the heart of the laptop...
    disconnect the cmos battery, and then reconnect it after 10 minutes.

This is cmos battery, not the main laptop battery. it is a 2 wire (red /black) connector on the main board.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

edited August 2019
    xMooN_66 said:
    xenosplat said:

This is cmos battery, not the main laptop battery. it is a 2 wire (red /black) connector on the main board.
    Hi, did this and now the device manager is reporting that "6th generation Intel processor family PCI Express Root Port #1" is not connected to the computer, I guess that's the root port where the nvidia graphics is located. Some progress, but the graphics card is still not working. tbh, I only disconnected the CMOS battery for 1-2 minutes, don't wanna lie right now :D
  • lyroche
    lyroche Member Posts: 1 New User
    hi do you have any updates with this problem?..my laptop is unusable because of this problem.cant even connect it using hdmi..
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    lyroche said:
    hi do you have any updates with this problem?..my laptop is unusable because of this problem.cant even connect it using hdmi..

Please start a new Topic for your question and give more details including your exact model number

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• DrJohn2021
    DrJohn2021 Member Posts: 1 New User
    xMooN_66 said:
    xMooN_66 said:
    xenosplat said:

Hi, did this and now the device manager is reporting that "6th generation Intel processor family PCI Express Root Port #1" is not connected to the computer, I guess that's the root port where the nvidia graphics is located. Some progress, but the graphics card is still not working. tbh, I only disconnected the CMOS battery for 1-2 minutes, don't wanna lie right now :D
    I'm having the same issue. Same laptop. Did you find a solution?
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

xMooN_66 said:
    xMooN_66 said:
    xenosplat said:

I'm having the same issue. Same laptop. Did you find a solution?
    Hi, I was doing some research about this issue, and unfortunately I found out that this model we have (we had), is/was known for these problems. What I did is, I sold that laptop for cheap, and bought myself a new ProBook from HP, with which I'm really satistified. Of course I did sell it as "half-defective". The issue is, that the graphics chip loses its connection to the mainboard, what I tried as well is that I did heat up the graphics chip next to the CPU, which gave me the graphics card back for a couple months (without any problems at this time), it stopped working last month again tho. So, I would not recommend wasting time on that laptop, even the workaround I talked here about earlier will not last for a long time. 

Regards,
    moon
  • xMooN_66

Tinkerer

lyroche said:
    I'd suggest you to read my last reply, sorry for the late answer tho.