Is the optical drive faulty?

Stephanagi
Stephanagi Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

ACER Travelmate 250

This laptop had Kubuntu 14.04 on it and I decided to upgrade to 18.04. My normal method is to use GParted to blank the HDD (60GB) then run the Kubuntu installation DVD.

However, all has not gone well. Two things happen and they might be related to each other.

1) The optical drive slows down and sometimes stops.

2) The screen goes blank, and the Z sleep light comes on.

I then press the power button and the optical drive start up but very soon the two events happen again.

At first I thought this was a HDD problem so I took it out and put it in a USB caddy and connected it to a Windows machine. The HDD was seen, a drive letter was not allocated and it was not possible to see any data.

I brought a new HDD installed it into the laptop. However, all of the above recurred.

I used an external optical reader/writer and the above recurred.

I had a look in the BIOS and made a change: MAIN > LCD Auto Dim – changed from Enabled to Disabled. I later realised this setting was not relevant.

I am at a lose to understand what to do.

Is this a failure of the motherboard?

I do not think it is a failure of the optical drive as the same happened when I used an external optical drive.

Any help appreciated.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,445 Trailblazer
    This laptop had Kubuntu 14.04
    Was this factory installed? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Stephanagi
    Stephanagi Member Posts: 2 New User

Windows XP Home Edition, Sp2 was originally on this laptop. When I inherited it, XP was deprecated and my intention was to put Linux on it. Linux was put on using an installation DVD, and that was several years ago.

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,445 Trailblazer
    >>>My normal method is to use GParted to blank the HDD (60GB) then run the Kubuntu installation DVD. >>>

I'd guess 18.04 would probably try to install some plain vanilla generic drivers on a XP era machine with some proprietary hardware that's almost two decades old. Things might not work too well. So if it was mine, I'd probably try to re-install 14.04 to get it and myself all back to square one. Then, rather than wipe 14.04, let the 18.04 installation software decide what it, not me, wants to keep from it. Jack E/NJ     

Jack E/NJ