Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

AN515-52 RAM Upgrade Question: RAM Running Slower than Spec

BromTequeBromTeque Posts: 2Member New User
Hello.

I was referred to the following website when I asked support about where to buy RAM/memory for my AN515-52:
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-52

I then proceeded to buy this kit: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM [BLS2K8G4S26BFSDK]
https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437476

Everything went smoothly until I installed the RAM and booted to Windows.
The RAM only runs at 2400MHz even though it's rated at 2666MHz. (timings are correct though)

The RAM that came with the machine ran at 2666MHz so I know it's capable of doing it.

This wouldn't have been a problem if I could've edited the speed myself in BIOS, but I can't, so here we are.


FAQ & Answers

  • andylbandylb Posts: 1,053Member Valued Contributor
    BromTeque said:
    Hello.

    I was referred to the following website when I asked support about where to buy RAM/memory for my AN515-52:
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-52

    I then proceeded to buy this kit: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM [BLS2K8G4S26BFSDK]
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437476

    Everything went smoothly until I installed the RAM and booted to Windows.
    The RAM only runs at 2400MHz even though it's rated at 2666MHz. (timings are correct though)

    The RAM that came with the machine ran at 2666MHz so I know it's capable of doing it.

    This wouldn't have been a problem if I could've edited the speed myself in BIOS, but I can't, so here we are.



    Although the pre installed RAM is 2666mhz you model is downclocked to 2400mhz by default and is not editable/ I think Acer got a good deal on a job lot of 2666mhz but it is a 2400mhz Laptop

    Please click "YES" to "Did this answer the question" if my answer helped solve your problem. 

    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)


  • BromTequeBromTeque Posts: 2Member New User
    andylb said:
    BromTeque said:
    Hello.

    I was referred to the following website when I asked support about where to buy RAM/memory for my AN515-52:
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/nitro-5-an515-52

    I then proceeded to buy this kit: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB Kit (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 SODIMM [BLS2K8G4S26BFSDK]
    https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/nitro-5-an515-52/CT12437476

    Everything went smoothly until I installed the RAM and booted to Windows.
    The RAM only runs at 2400MHz even though it's rated at 2666MHz. (timings are correct though)

    The RAM that came with the machine ran at 2666MHz so I know it's capable of doing it.

    This wouldn't have been a problem if I could've edited the speed myself in BIOS, but I can't, so here we are.



    Although the pre installed RAM is 2666mhz you model is downclocked to 2400mhz by default and is not editable/ I think Acer got a good deal on a job lot of 2666mhz but it is a 2400mhz Laptop
    So it's not possible to buy 3rd party 2666MHz RAM upgrades?

    I know the CPU (8750H) supports up to 64 GiB of dual-channel DDR4-2666 memory.

    I'm also baffled by the fact that there is absolutely no actual user control in UEFI BIOS either.
  • andylbandylb Posts: 1,053Member Valued Contributor
    from what I understand and from all the previous posts on this same subject 2400 is the speed but check directly with Acer

    Please click "YES" to "Did this answer the question" if my answer helped solve your problem. 

    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)


  • trfontrfon Posts: 1Member New User
    i'm deliberating the same issue to upgrade my ram.  so if the laptop does not support 2666, why does the win 10 os say that is running at 2666 with the factory 4gb?  I have returned my memory upgrade that brought this speed down to 2400.  I see this under task manager -> performance tab -> memory section of the win 10 software
  • JordanBJordanB Posts: 3,349ACE Pathfinder
    edited August 26
    trfon said:
    i'm deliberating the same issue to upgrade my ram.  so if the laptop does not support 2666, why does the win 10 os say that is running at 2666 with the factory 4gb?  I have returned my memory upgrade that brought this speed down to 2400.  I see this under task manager -> performance tab -> memory section of the win 10 software
    I found some RAM that is not only compatible with your computer at 2666, but also compatible with your existing RAM at 2666.  

    https://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search?model=98315&deviceType=3&mfr=ACE&line=Aspire
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • andylbandylb Posts: 1,053Member Valued Contributor
    Even if it says 2666 it is running at 2400

    Please click "YES" to "Did this answer the question" if my answer helped solve your problem. 

    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)


Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online283

Acer-Brad
Acer-Brad
Acer-Harvey
Acer-Harvey
Acer-Karp
Acer-Karp
andylb
andylb
ANTONIO777
ANTONIO777
Boatkettlecheese
Boatkettlecheese
Deejay_tech
Deejay_tech
JuliaBernardes
JuliaBernardes
mtelism1
mtelism1
Qudmany
Qudmany
Rudy21
Rudy21
vespaX
vespaX
+271 Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Here?

So, what are the rules of this place? Check out our Acer Community User Agreement. Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Member Highlight

We would like to feature andylb as a destacated member in the Acer Community. With his dedication and support efforts, andylb has become a Valued Contributor . On behalf of the Acer Community team and all our users, we want to recognize and thank you for your dedication!

Total Posts and Comments: 1053

Total Points:2667

Total Accepted Answers: 130

andylb Valued Contributor
Intel Extreme KAtowise 2019
Predator Join the forum discussions on our
Predator line of products.
Find out about the Acer ACE program.