Nitro 5 AN515-51 Freezing when Gaming, Stutter, FPS Drop with Low Temperatures (Undervolted)

Options
bilalsedeff
bilalsedeff Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello, i already wrote this post 1 week ago but interestingly it just disappeared. Anyway, i am writing this post again. 

I have Nitro 5 AN515-51, NH.Q2QEY.004, 16 gb RAM, 128 gb SSD, 4 gb 1050ti GPU, i7 CPU laptop. When im gaming, it becomes unplayable after 10-15 minutes. It is freezing, stuttering for 1-3 seconds. Those fps drops occurs around 80°C and this should not be happened at this low temperatures. I undervolted for -135 mV, playing always ac plugged in, power options at balanced and intel turbo boost disabled, all CPU, GPU and system drivers are up to date. What i saw is, intel xtu says i am suffering thermal throttling. But it should be happened at values greater than 90°C right? What is my laptop's problem, i need help. I also attach my system summary below. Thanks.

System Manufacturer Acer
System Model Nitro AN515-51
BIOS Version V1.21
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 1809
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
GPU RAM 4.00 GB
Physical Memory - Total 16 GB

Answers

• F99Sh
    F99Sh Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Options
    It's maybe beacuse of your game problem
    Reinstall and use officle version of that
    Or your NVIDIA driver or nvidia experience bad optimizing !!!
    Or if you have this problem in other aspect of your pc ,maybe it's come from your Win. Problems.

Sincerely
  • bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    F99Sh said:
    It's maybe beacuse of your game problem
    Reinstall and use officle version of that
    Or your NVIDIA driver or nvidia experience bad optimizing !!!
    Or if you have this problem in other aspect of your pc ,maybe it's come from your Win. Problems.

Sincerely
    Not just one game, i literally suffer FPS drop at every game. CS:GO, Dota 2, L4D2, Squad, Quake Champions and all of these games are official. This laptop remains original since when i buy it. Not damaged, not overclocked, case is also not opened. And i am not a person like gaming everyday. Maybe 1-2 hour in 2 day at week. It should not be useless and suffer such problems in 1 year i think ?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Hello, i already wrote this post 1 week ago but interestingly it just disappeared. Anyway, i am writing this post again. 

I have Nitro 5 AN515-51, NH.Q2QEY.004, 16 gb RAM, 128 gb SSD, 4 gb 1050ti GPU, i7 CPU laptop. When im gaming, it becomes unplayable after 10-15 minutes. It is freezing, stuttering for 1-3 seconds. Those fps drops occurs around 80°C and this should not be happened at this low temperatures. I undervolted for -135 mV, playing always ac plugged in, power options at balanced and intel turbo boost disabled, all CPU, GPU and system drivers are up to date. What i saw is, intel xtu says i am suffering thermal throttling. But it should be happened at values greater than 90°C right? What is my laptop's problem, i need help. I also attach my system summary below. Thanks.

System Manufacturer Acer
    BIOS Version V1.21
    GPU RAM 4.00 GB

First of all you need to make sure that your dedicated GPU is selected for gaming, then you need to select each game on "High Performance". "balanced performance" does not work for gaming and is only for using the Laptop on battery only. Make sure your batterry is at 100% BEFORE gaming and keep it plugged into power while gaming

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    andylb said:

System Manufacturer Acer
    BIOS Version V1.21
    GPU RAM 4.00 GB

First of all you need to make sure that your dedicated GPU is selected for gaming, then you need to select each game on "High Performance". "balanced performance" does not work for gaming and is only for using the Laptop on battery only. Make sure your battery is at 100% BEFORE gaming and keep it plugged into power while gaming
    I did all these things but not worked. With "balanced", i meant, in battery settings, i set power mode to better performance, which is the middle option. And in Nvidia options, i chose the games i play and set them to run with Nvidia and in High Performance mode. I also never play games without power cable plugged in.
  • andylb
    Options
    Uninstall your Nvidia drivers using DDU then reinstall them again. 
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    Uninstall your Nvidia drivers using DDU then reinstall them again. 
    https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
    Tried today, completely uninstall Nvidia and downloaded new updated driver. No chance...
  • andylb
    Options
    OK let me think

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    OK let me think
    I think this laptop model have some kind of chronic problems. I tried everything and nothing happened. This will not be fixed from what i see with other nitro users' problems. That's why it's cheaper compared to other gaming laptops. All the nitro models have some kind of stutter, lag, fps drop and thermal throttling problems users reported and it occurs with a laptop meant to be "Gaming Laptop". Careful, we are not talking about pushing the limits like playing Witcher III with ultra graphic settings or brand new games with ultra high settings. It occurs even in CS:GO 2012 made game. And other not demanding games. I do not understand. Why would you sell a pc under a name "Gaming Laptop" and it is does not even let you play a ordinary games without stutter, freeze and etc.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    You are using a GTX 1050 Ti right? What is the temperature of the graphics card in-game? Not the CPU. If the GPU is anywhere near 80C that is much too hot for Pascal based cards an you are running your base clock speed rather than your boost clock which limits the GPU performance in-game. This is the performance loss you are seeing in-game. Pascal cards want to be lower than 65C for max boost clock.

The CPU & GPU share heatpipes in this model laptop. So, as one heats up the other component heats up in turn. There is no getting away from this, and it's part of the "budget" design you speak of with the Nitro series. Other models have better cooling, more heat pipes, bigger fans, etc. This model REALLY benefits from a thermal repaste in order to help cool both CPU and GPU.

You mentioned in XTU it flags as 'thermal throttle' during testing. That is your answer! The laptop is telling you it is too hot, and it is lowering performance to compensate. You can give it less power with an undervolt to lower temperatures, you can increase fan speed to better cool the heatsink, but after that there is no practical step to reduce temperatures other than a thermal repaste. 

Many people undervolt the graphics card as well as the CPU to bing the overall power draw down, thus temps down. MSi Afterbruner lets you do this.
  • bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    tobimaru said:
    You are using a GTX 1050 Ti right? What is the temperature of the graphics card in-game? Not the CPU. If the GPU is anywhere near 80C that is much too hot for Pascal based cards an you are running your base clock speed rather than your boost clock which limits the GPU performance in-game. This is the performance loss you are seeing in-game. Pascal cards want to be lower than 65C for max boost clock.

The CPU & GPU share heatpipes in this model laptop. So, as one heats up the other component heats up in turn. There is no getting away from this, and it's part of the "budget" design you speak of with the Nitro series. Other models have better cooling, more heat pipes, bigger fans, etc. This model REALLY benefits from a thermal repaste in order to help cool both CPU and GPU.

You mentioned in XTU it flags as 'thermal throttle' during testing. That is your answer! The laptop is telling you it is too hot, and it is lowering performance to compensate. You can give it less power with an undervolt to lower temperatures, you can increase fan speed to better cool the heatsink, but after that there is no practical step to reduce temperatures other than a thermal repaste. 

Many people undervolt the graphics card as well as the CPU to bing the overall power draw down, thus temps down. MSi Afterbruner lets you do this.
    Thank you for answer. I will add my GPU temperature after i test it with 30 min Chivalry: Medieval Warfare game. Other topics you mentioned, XTU says i suffer thermal throttling even i undervolted my CPU -135 mV, but when i check the last 30 min temperatures, i never see CPU temperature go above 80-85°C. And as i read somewhere in this forum, some expert said, CPU throttle should occur at >90°C levels. That is why it makes me wonder i am experiencing thermal throttle. But you mentioned something i never tested and observed. I never undervolted GPU. 

Edit: By the way, i am using some version of PredatorSense which is working perfect with this model and before gaming i always set fan speed to maximum  which is 6122 rpm for both CPU & GPU.
  • bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

Options
    tobimaru said:

Thank you for answer. Yes i am using 1050 Ti. I never tested and observed my GPU temperatures so i will test it now for gaming 30 min Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. 

Other topics you mentioned; XTU says i am suffering thermal throttle but some experts said in this forum it should happen at levels >90C that is why i am wondering i experience this kind of problem because my CPU temperatures never go above 80-85C when i game. I already undervolted my CPU -135mV. But i never undervolted my GPU and this my be cure for my problem i will try this as soon as possible! And thermal repaste should be still new because i never used this laptop for hard gaming like 10-12 hours in a day. I bought this laptop 1 year ago and used very softly.

By the way i am using PredatorSense which is working perfect with this model. I always set the fan speeds to maximum which is 6122 rpm for both CPU & GPU before gaming. 
  • bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

Options

Here is the 30 min game testing results:

You can see the fans were at max for all gaming time. Max CPU is 75C and max GPU is 61C. I suffered 7-8 stuttering and 2-3 freezing during gaming. Let's check XTU monitoring:

1) This is CPU results nearly same as the PredatorSense:

2)This is the GPU results:

XTU shows my GPU reached 72C but when i hover my mouse on all the lines i never saw any 72C... I don't know if there is any glitch with this program. As you can see GPU is always at least 5-6C lower than CPU so we should see overlapping purple and turquoise lines if GPU reached 72C. 

Interesting thing is the blue line at the bottom ,which indicates thermal throttling, is always at 0. Means i did not suffer any thermal throttling during game. But, i experienced fps drops and freezes. That is my point. Some things are irrelevant with this laptop.
  • andylb
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I am sorry to disagree with my colleague @tobimaru but those temps are well within specs and yes up to 90 c for this model is the max and those are ACER specs not my opinion so something else is going on here and it is not a temperature problem. I'll get back to you but for right now forget the temperature as the cause and you're right you did not have thermal throttling due to high temp

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

Options
    andylb said:
    I am sorry to disagree with my colleague @tobimaru but those temps are well within specs and yes up to 90 c for this model is the max and those are ACER specs not my opinion so something else is going on here and it is not a temperature problem. I'll get back to you but for right now forget the temperature as the cause and you're right you did not have thermal throttling due to high temp
    I am waiting for any kind of help. I hope there is some good explanation for my problem. 
  • bilalsedeff

Tinkerer

Options
    Sorry to bump but i am still waiting for some help from experts, thank you.
  • andylb
    Options

Please understand we are not Acer employees, we are fellow users just like yourself who share what knowledge we have, so if one of us thinks we find an answer I'm sure we'll get right back to you. You could try Acer Support

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Odemkrad
    Odemkrad Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey everyone i have an acer nitro 5 model AN515-51-75CK.  I hope someone can help me with my problem, when i play gta v or any other game that requires high graphics the game tends to to lag so much in graphics and then crash, i have tried lower the graphics as much a possible but there is no improvment at all
  • andylb
    Options
    Odemkrad said:
    Hey everyone i have an acer nitro 5 model AN515-51-75CK.  I hope someone can help me with my problem, when i play gta v or any other game that requires high graphics the game tends to to lag so much in graphics and then crash, i have tried lower the graphics as much a possible but there is no improvment at all

Please start a new Topic for your question

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• ElAguaterIN
    ElAguaterIN Member Posts: 19

Tinkerer

Options

I have exactly the same problem, unlike the temperatures in my case not exceeding 70 ° C, the processor limits its frequency from 3.9 Ghz to 1Ghz every 3 seconds, until fortnite in low is unplayable...

• EconWolf1011
    EconWolf1011 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Check if your cpu slows down and remains at 2ghz when the temperature of the cpu or gpu reach 75 degrees C