6293-652G25Mn -- Stuck in Boot-up NO screen output (native or VGA) After replacing LCD screen

2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    edited August 2019
    Yes laptop screen. No external screen. Just the stick and charger plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jahboa
    Jahboa Member Posts: 23

Tinkerer

--sigh--

Ok. so I prepared a USB stick (FAT32, with the one file, renamed BIOS.WPH). connected usb stick, battery, charger, VGA monitor.
    But the behaviour is the same. No light on the USB, it just hangs there.

--heavy sigh--

Anyway Jack, thanks ever so much for your help and info, too bad it didn't work!
    Just tell me when to give up (i'm about ready now , snif!)

Cheers,
    JB
  • Jahboa

Tinkerer

>>>Yes laptop screen. No external screen. Just the stick and charger plugged in.
    Ah, I missed this post. I will try that.

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

>> I will try that.
    Nope, same difference.

• JackE
    What was the full filename before you renamed in to BIOS.WPH? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

>>What was the full filename before you renamed in to BIOS.WPH?
    V116.ROM (2.107.642 bytes)
    JB
  • JackE
    OK. You're gonna have to try to do this blind (no screen). Go to this link https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/490380/#Comment_490380    and try to follow my directions and what the user @siaslam did. I'm not sure all his keystrokes were needed. I think all he needed to do was to simply shut the laptop off and restart it after. Flashing blind is not easy and is quite unpredictable. So we may have to stumble through a few tries at this. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

OK, here's what I've come across so far..

I DL the Phoenix Bios Recovery (wincrisis 1.0.0.4) from bios-mods.com, ran it in compatibility mode XP-sp3.
    So I copied the V116.ROM file from the BIOS-update zip-file into the wincrisis folder and renamed to "BIOS.WPH". I'm not sure if this is good, but there were no "PLATFORM.BIN" files in my BIOS directory.
    I followed the steps mentioned in the instructions.txt : press 'start', wait, disconnect, press 'OK', reconnect, 'YES', 'Start', wait, disconnect, 'OK', reconnect, 'NO'.
    Now on the USB are 3 files: BIOS.WPH, MINIDOS.SYS, PLASH16.EXE.

Step 3) says to copy BIOS.WPH, MINIDOS.SYS, PLASH16.EXE onto the USB
    >>>>>??
    a. These files are already on the the USB, do I really need to copy them again?
    b. where do I get these files from? from the wincrisis folder (where they originally came from)?

siaslam said: >>>> Then copy all 3 files from the BIOS version 1.16 DOS subdirectory to the root directory of the bootable USB drive. overwrite phlash16
    BUT: I don't see a DOS folder in my BIOS-update zip-file.
    AND: I don't see the "P" file anywhere..

Something doesn't seem to make sense to me... please tell me if I'm on the right track and/or what to do next.
    JB

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

P.S. >> I forgot there were still instructions on the BIOS-mods page. I will follow that and see where it leeds me to.
  • Jahboa

Tinkerer

>> I will follow that and see where it leeds me to.
    OK. so I copied the BIOS.WPH, MINIDOS.SYS, PLASH16.EXE files from the wincrisis folder into th USB root (overwrite). N.B. the BIOS.WPH file was originally the "V116.ROM" file from the BIOS-update.
    I plugged in the USB into the laptop, held down the *magic* key-combination, connected battery and power.
    I have tried every key combo (Fn-Esc, Fn-B, Win-B), but there's still no response, no USB blinking, no BIOS recovery mode AFAICS.

Anything I did wrong?
    JB

• JackE
    I think the "P" mentioned in the other thread was a batch file, P.BAT, that essentially calls upon the phlash16.exe  that operates on the BIOS.WPH file. When you're working blind it's easier to enter 'P ' than some syntax like 'phlash16.exe BIOS.wph' .  Give me some time and I'll see if I can find the right syntax.  Also I think it's spelled phlash.exe with an h not plash.exe without an h, part of the syntax that can get screwed up when you're entering stuff on the keyboard without a screen. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Your laptop should have 3 USB ports, only one of which it'll probably boot from. I'm gonna guess it's the lone one on the right. Which one have you been trying to boot from? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

this is what i tried next (with no result)

Duplicated BIOS.WPH and CRISBOOT.BIN, renamed them to BIOS.ROM and PLATFORM.BIN
    Ran WINCRIS.EXE, followed instructions.
    This time the USB is empty

I copy the 3 files BIOS.WPH, MINIDOS.SYS, PLASH16.EXE files from the wincrisis folder into th USB root.
    I also duplicate BIOS.WPH and rename it FLASHABL.ROM (a name I found in PHLASH.INI from the BIOS update)

insert usb in laptop, Fn-Esc, battery, power.... same old story
  • Lvictorius
    Lvictorius Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited September 2019
    You might want to check the LCD switch an make sure it is receiving power, it needs to be properly attached and or might be stuck in the off position. You never know it could be the simplest thing.
  • Jahboa

Tinkerer

>> You might want to check the LCD switch
    Where would I find this switch? Can you point me in the right direction? As far as I have seen, there's only the LCD cable which connects the LCD directly to the main board.

>>> it could be the simplest thing
    ...yeah! I'm wanting it to be something simple, the simplest thing would be the greatest!

Thanks for your help,
    JB

• JackE

The most troubling symptom was and is still no external video output. This suggests a graphics chip failure --- that is, the mainboard. A solder reflow might bring it back if it's due to mechanical solder falures. If not, good used and refurbished mainboards are still available for under $100.   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

Hi JackE,

I saw a video on a solder reflow - it looks pretty hard-core!
    I have never done anything like that, I doubt If I have the material/skills for it... but maybe i should look into it

I also had a look at the ebay link, it's exactly what I would be looking for! too bad the seller doesn't ship internationally...
    Strangely enough, when I search for the part nr. (1310A2233701) on ebay, it doesn't find any matches!! (not even the one you sent me just now!!, I had to use sportslinkup.com to actaully find it) really weird!

Thanks,
    JB

• JackE
    You can either bake the whole board in a toaster oven or use a heat gun directed only at the graphics chip itself. I'd place the whole stripped board on a cookie sheet and bake it for 10-15 mins in an oven preheated to 425-450*F. The original ACER label mainboard part number was MB.TQM0B.001 which you might find new but the prices will probably scare you away. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jahboa

Tinkerer

Thanks Jack,
    I will definitely give that a try. Do you know of any tutorial on the stripping of the board ? (I know it might seem a straightforward operation, but since I originally got here as a result of a straightforward operation going foobar... better safe than sorry)
    As far as the price, you're right I don't think it is worth the investment of a new mainboard...
    JB
  • JackE
    'Stripping' is to remove all  mainboard components that are either pushed or screwed on the mainboard and not permanently soldered to it. This includes RAM modules, your SocketP CPU, HDD/SSD, battery pack, BIOS coin battery, wifi card and antenna, ribbon cables, and loose plastic connector wedges. Only soldered chips and bakelite slots should remain that can tolerate the reflow temperatures for several minutes.

But BEFORE you attempt actual reflow after completely stripping the board --- you should put it all back together again to give it one last chance. Yes, a time-consuming and frustrating ordeal. But it's possible that the simple but tedious process of removing & reinstalling (re-seating) these components is enough to reestablish a good contacts needed to resolve the problem.

If you google the key words 'reflow motherboard oven gun', many tutorials and videos will be found on this last resort solder reflow method of trying to salvage a mainboard.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ