Please help....(sp113-31

Options
aj2703
aj2703 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I have a spin 1  sp113-31 which is running windows 10.

I am trying to install a fresh copy of windows 7 as I have software that will only run on that or XP I wish to use.

I can also only seem to get the 64 bit version of windows 7 to be recognised by the laptop. Would rather a 32 bit but I am not sure if the hardware would run it..? I tried in that rufus software to create a 32 bit iso file on my usb drive but it does not recognise the disc under Fat system, you can create an iso under ntfs but it's not a windows file and thus in the bios on the usb it's not read.

Am i doing something wrong there?.

As for the 64 bit version. I can create the iso file fine. install it on the usb stick and it will boot into it. It reads the windows files and then gets stuck at the Starting windows screen. I left my laptop on all night just in case this part was a bit slow which i seem to remember it was, however nothing has changed.

I really do not know what to do now so if you can please help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,482 Trailblazer
    Options
    Windows 10 boots from UEFI mode bootstrap on a GPT partitioned HDD/SSD. Windows 7 only boots from a BIOS mode bootstrap on a MBR partitioned HDD/SSD or USB stick. Accordingly, you cannot install Windows 7 in dual boot mode on the HDD/SSD without losing the existing Windows 10 installation. You can however run a virtual 32-bit Windows 7 as a guest on a Windows 10 host using software like VMWarePlayer or VirtualBox which may give you enough functionality to run the older WinXP era software. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aj2703
    Options
    Ok.

Is there a way to install a whole fresh copy of XP 32 bit. I don't care about getting rid of Win 10. The laptop is not really used anyway. i would just rather do a whole new OS. It runs on a single SSD BTW if it matters.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I have software that will only run on that or XP I wish to use.>>>

Win10 has a compatibility mode that allows running ***some*** earlier Win7 and/or WinVista compatible software.  What is your software? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aj2703
    Options
    Have tried that but it crashes. 

I really am not interested in keeping windows 10.

Would just rather do a fresh 32bit copy of XP
  • JackE
    Options
    This particular model may not support a BIOS bootstrap which is required for Win7 and earlier Windows versions. To check, shutdown the machine. Turn it back on and immediately start tapping the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu. Does the BIOS Boot tab seem to have an option for changing UEFI bootstrap to legacy BIOS bootstrap? If it does, you must first set and save a supervisor password. Then re-enter the BIOS with the password to disable secure boot and change from UEFI bootstrap to BIOS bootstrap. Save settings and exit. Your machine will no longer recognize the Win10 boot drive. Then you can try to boot from a Win7 installation stick and change the Win10 SSD to MBR partitioning. Win10 will be wiped out. No turning back at this point. Some devices, like wifi, touchpad, bluetooth & HD graphics, may not work properly or at all under Win7 because there are no Win7 compatible drivers available.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @JackE

I'm not sure if his computer has a 32 bit UEFI.....which complicates things.  I'm not even sure if it's possible to install XP on a 32 bit UEFI.

Also, I'm pretty sure his computer has Apollo Lake....which complicates things with grub/linux.

I've never used a computer with a 32 bit UEFI (if he has one) and have never used a computer with Apollo Lake.  Good luck!

Edit: He doesn't have 32 bit UEFI

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    Agreed.JordanB Lots of unknowns here. If it supports legacy BIOS, there may be a chance. But even if it installs, some of its hardware probably won't operate under Win7 or earlier. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    Options
    Even if he does have a 64 bit UEFI, the SG makes no reference to "legacy mode", so I don't think it's going to happen.

• JackE
    Options
    Yeah, he's checking on if the option is even available after saving a BIOS password. I don't think it is either. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    Options
    Ok, I just re-read his original post and saw he was able to get a 64 bit USB to boot....so he has 64 bit UEFI.
  • JordanB
    Options
    Someone on this forum was able to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode (secure boot disabled), but it was complicated and they had to use DISM to make changes to the image before booting it.  Too complicated and too much work.  It would be easier to pick up a  Windows XP or Windows 7 machine at garage sale or on Ebay.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/dism---deployment-image-servicing-and-management-technical-reference-for-windows
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I can also only seem to get the 64 bit version of windows 7 to be recognised by the laptop.>>>

I'm not sure if 'recognized' means the same thing as 'boot'? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    JordanB>>>Someone on this forum was able to install Windows 7 in UEFI mode (secure boot disabled),>>>

I think I saw something like that too but wasn't too convinced. Booting Win7 from an MBR partitioned HDD in UEFI mode almost sounds like some kind of an oxymoron. A lot of these so-called claims of booting Win7 from UEFI ultimately depend on having the legacy BIOS overlay available in the UEFI firmware. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JordanB
    edited July 2019
    Options
    He also said this in his original post:

"As for the 64 bit version. I can create the iso file fine. install it on the usb stick and it will boot into it. It reads the windows files and then gets stuck at the Starting windows screen. "

He must have a 64 bit UEFI because he was able to boot it and load windows files.

His problem is vga.sys.  He must disable vga.sys (or possibly delete it)

He's got to use DISM to disable it among lots of other things.....even though the link below is not guaranteed to work.

http://reboot.pro/topic/21108-install-windows-7-at-uefi-graphics-output-protocol-gop-hardware/
  • JordanB
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Here's the topic about installing windows 7 in UEFI mode (secure boot disabled of course).  
    @Popy figured it out.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/662832#Comment_662832

• JackE
    Options
    >>>@Popy figured it out.>>>

Yes, according to Popy  My eyes glazed over before I got to the end of that one.   :)   I still think It fundamentally depends on the ability to call up the legacy overlay if it exists in the hardware. In some firmware, the option is verbose. In others, hidden. In still others --- the wave of the future? --- seems impossible. BTW, I can even run one of my favorite Win98 era greeting-card software from the latest Mint19.1 using WINE. Haven't been able to do that yet on Win10. Also wouldn't work on Win7 except as a 32-bit virtual. Imagine that. Older Wndows software will only run under Linux.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• bloodhand
    bloodhand Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I did it on my Spin 5, then helped Popy to install it on his laptop too. 
    My guide: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/guide-how-to-install-windows-7-x64-on-acer-spin-5-laptop.829379/
    Popy's video guide: https://youtu.be/-0xqUoHUVAo