Aspire V17 Nitro Vn7-792g-70ky keyboard backlight not working

Options
mnoah
mnoah Member Posts: 1 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
Keyboard red backlighting stopped.  Not an F9 issue.  Does the small clip that lights the red line on the top of the board need connection for the backlighting to work.  I saw that on other newer 592g a picture of the thin brown ribbon connector as backlight connector.  Is it the same on this model as the black flip clip came off and I connected several times with no lighting before it finally fatigued off.  These connector are very frail and seemed designed with no replacements and obsolescence in mind like corporate cancer that the American Auto Industry brought to the world.  If it is a fastener issue; has anyone a good solution for that.  I am using a small piece of double sided tape as that is quite sticky and removable.  I have back up battery, keyboard mounted on another lower frame and swapped an SSD for the hard drive that I now run in a caddie in the DVD slot.  Has anyone resoldered that upper clip that comes off its mount of you breath heavily on it.  Nice work Acer for well over a grand.  Are Predators this crappy so no wonder hard core gamers have to be very tech and engineering savvy to build their own or throw money at someone that is.  I got this 4K machine just to handle photoediting hobby.  Are all the really intelligent inventors living in nanospace already?  I enjoy ripping ***** apart and trying to make it work like Linux as Microsoft is hopelessly overcoded and Apple came right out of the Garden of Eden full of worms and is really nothing but Linux in a locked box.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options
    mnoah>>>I enjoy ripping ***** apart and trying to make it work>>>

Then you may be in luck. Well, maybe not. KB backlight ribbon probably came loose from the mainboard connector. Simply remove 14 screws from the bottom case. Then pry top case apart from the latches on the bottom case along with the keyboard with a credit card. Or maybe a putty knife if the latches are stubborn. Then keep your fingers crossed that you don't break anything important and can put it all back together again maybe with a little help from color coordinated duct tape.  :) Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• mnoperson
    mnoperson Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Thank you for assistance verifying the ribbon for keyboard backlighting.  This issue was the tab @ #1 above had apparently become brittle with heating and one of the pinned sides snapped off.  The solution was to shim the tab by cutting plastic backed indoor/outdoor carpet tape to the shape of the tab and attaching without removing the plastic backing.  The piece just fit to the front edge of the ribbon so as to give a thickness that compressed just enough to snugly go into the slot.  The tape provided both attachment and compressed fit.  Then I put a small piece of duct tape about 1''x1/4" crosswise at the back edge of the fitting to hold the ribbon in place.  This was done before attaching the keyboard and touchpad  ribbons that had been unattached.  Some persistence is needed to get the right thickness material to fit the slot but adhesive backed material is better to handle than other plastic or card material as it doesn't slip.  Making the length to coincide with the tab edge allows you to push the whole business into the slot with even pressure and no movement of your repair piece.  Getting the compression expansion of the tape was the key to replacing the broken tab's functionality.  "Rubberized" ribbon cable ends on the upper side with a suitable receptor fitting might solve these noxious issues of breaking snap ins.  Something that expands when in the fitting assures electrical contacts.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,574 Trailblazer
    Options
    Congratulation on finding your issue and the fix. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ