Acer Aspire 7 A715-71G RAM compatibility

YousefAhmed
YousefAhmed Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

i want to add another 8gb ram stick to the laptop but i wanted to know do they both have to be the same frequency or the same brand 
i have an 8gb kingston 2666mhz inside of the laptop 

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    Your current memory module should work at 2400MHz. Could you check the frequency in Task Manager?
    France
  • YousefAhmed

Tinkerer

its working at 2667 
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    edited July 2019
    Thanks. I would suggest you to buy a Crucial memory module of 2666MHz like this one.
    France
  • YousefAhmed

Tinkerer

So it doesn't matter if they are not both the same brand but they both have to be the same frequency? 
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening YousefAhmed !

This series supports a maximum of 32GB of RAM (2 slots, 2x16GB each) So-DIMM DDR4 2133 / 2400Mhz

Ideally, you should use memory banks of the same brand and frequency to avoid compatibility errors.

Use CPU-z or HWInfo64 to make sure that the installed RAM is actually working at the 2666 frequency.
    This is because the information displayed may be wrong since the chipset limits the frequency.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• YousefAhmed

Tinkerer

this is what CPU Z shows 
  • MaClane
    From print, see that RAM has a frequency of 2666 (1330.5 x 2).
    NB Frequency (which is the chipset of the NorthBridge chipset) displays 2400 (2493.9)

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• YousefAhmed

Tinkerer

so i should get a kingston ram stick that is 2400Mhz ?
  • MaClane
    From past information, in my opinion, yes.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Himanshu2003
    Himanshu2003 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Can i remove the pre installed ram stick and get another ram stick of 3200Mhz ?
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,687 Trailblazer
    Can i remove the pre installed ram stick and get another ram stick of 3200Mhz ?
    Just an addition towhat is suggested above to you Himanshu2003. The answer is "NO" don't use DDR4-3200MHz as it won't work as the frequency is too high, the best and safest to update to, if you want to upgrade safeley and use memory that works the best with your laptop, is to use what Acer recommends for your laptop, which is the DDR4-2133MHz or the DDR4-2400MHz, yes you have a 1x 8GB DDR4-2666MHz (in single channel) that works and you could go to that frequency but, be careful as and if you increase your RAM to the max capacities of this laptop e.g. 32GB and put 2x 16GB at DDR4-2666MHz it might not work and/or boot in "Dual Channel". Remember what DDR stands for which is "Double Data Rate" which is that there are 2 data transfers per clock. Actual frequency of 1333mhz (that you have) means effective frequency 2666mhz that your CPU-Z is showing your actual frequency. 

Note: What Acer suggests (in caption above by MaClane) is the safest and best performance if you utilise the max memory capacity of 32GB which is either 2x 16GB of DDR4-2133MHz or the DDR4-2400MHz for your laptop to work at its best performance, so stick to that.