Upgrade path for i5-4460 (Acer TC605) ?

mcewena
mcewena Member Posts: 4 New User
I'm years out of date on my processor/motherboard intercompatibility knowledge, I'm guessing the answer is "no" but here goes: 

Is there a cost effective CPU upgrade path for my CPU ("4th gen" i5-4460 Haswell-DT) without replacing motherboard etc..? I know you can swap some i5s for some i7s.... and there are later i5s... 

I bought my PC off the shelf last time and I know that limits my options, but served me well and man it was easier than previous research/shop/build/repeat method... 

Thanks,

Answers

• Ishy
    Ishy Member Posts: 143 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi, @mcewena I read the issue you have and understood the problem. Try to contact parts partner store, they will be able to provide information on the proper chip you can upgrade to. I have attached the link for the information below.
    https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5969/session/L3RpbWUvMTU1NTAyNDgzNy9nZW4vMTU1NTAyNDgzNy9zaWQvZlVUd2R1bVNfcTVQblhpMlkzbDRtYUF6UXU1bmF4MlI5STVpTGNJSlY2MVllU1hJWk1YcW9QMVFaTjVNNENsdlU2bWVrNkdJaXpSTnBsWmlSdW5oaFJfekhZQ0pGZlVUYlFoaml4aGs2WGN0Y2poY0paaG9QWVJRJTIxJTIx
    If you are satisfied with my reply please accept my resolution. Thanks. 
  • MarkkuS
    MarkkuS Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hi there. I´m not aware if you have already got solved your question as I was off for a good time. Now, following info is just key tech info to be followed when a cpu upgrade is planned: Key tech details are the socket and chipset. If you will not swap your mobo, then your new cpu needs to be compatible with the socket and chipset on your existing mobo. In your system the socket is LGA 1150 and chipset is intel H81. See this link: http://www.cpu-world.com/Sockets/Socket_1150_LGA1150_H3.html
    Further, the power rating of the new cpu should meet your PSU, otherwise that needs to be upgraded, too.
    And, seondly, faster cpu may produce more heat than the existing one. That can be displayed with Coretemp-s/w (free). If temps in benchmark-test (to be done e.g.  with CPU-Z-s/f (also free)) rise close to Tjmax, you need to upgrade cooling, too. Pls, let us know if this helps, or if you have further questions.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,401 Trailblazer
    edited July 2019
    Hopefully you aren't swamped with answers yet. You have a 4th generation chipset and can use many of not most of the other 4th gen processors. Your i5-4460 has four cores and can run four threads at a time. The i7 versions have four cores and can run eight threads at a time. So, an upgrade that would be noticeable would be to go from the i5-4460 to an i7-4770 or i7-4790. Those should be available on the secondary market and not unreasonably priced. You might try eBay and get a working pull...

What do you use your computer for the most? You may find that a drive upgrade gives a lot more performance boost for the money. If you have a HDD and no SSD then that would be better than bumping the CPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mcewena
    Thanks Billsey,  Mostly sim racing so multi threading apparently isn't a big gain.  Neither is hard disk performance after the initial game/data load.     Cheers.
  • billsey
    edited July 2019
    Yeah, with that type of gaming it's the rendering time that's the hurdle, so look into alternate graphics cards instead of CPU, memory or storage.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • mcewena
    billsey said:
    Yeah, with that type of gaming it's the rendering time that's the hurdle, so look into alternate graphics cards instead of CPU, memory or storage.
    Yeah I've got an Radeon R9, just wondering if a CPU upgrade would be economical. 
  • billsey
    A quick eBay search points to i7-4770s going for between $75 and $100. That going to be a bit steep for the performance boost with your system.
  • australopythecus
    australopythecus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hi there,

Just registered to say that the performance of my ACER TC605 i5-4460 is really good. Bought in Australia, 4 years ago, second hand for $200 and is the best investment I've done in a while. I have bad experiences here with Lenovo (new from factory) and Toshiba.
    I upgraded to and SSD one year ago and that made a HUGE DIFFERENCE. That's the first upgrade I could recommend any other person to one ahead with.
    Now, as @billsey said  I'm thinking about upgrading for a i7-4790 wich I found $120 on Gumtree and $145 eBay. 

• australopythecus
    australopythecus Member Posts: 2 New User
    Regarding compatibility -  LGA 1150 CPU socket that the Intel Core i7-4790 4-Core 3.6GHz will fit into, providing motherboard to CPU compatibility.
    https://www.pc-specs.com/cpu/Intel/Core_i7_4th_Gen/Core_i7-4790_4-Core_3.6GHz/2038/Compatible_Motherboards