laptop shuts down when charger gets unplugged (Aspire VN7-791G)

lckr
lckr Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have had this problem a couple of times the past year. this is the second time this week it's happening. my charging cable doesn't connect very well in my laptop to begin with. I have this issue for almost a year now. I don't know what the problem is or what caused it, but it's losing contact with the slightest touch/move and I have to play with the cable so my laptop is 'plugged in'. I'm going to bring my laptop to a service soon but right now I can't cause I have to finish my work first. anyway, it just happened again. when the charger got 'unplugged' my laptop shut down and I thought it was dead cause it wouldn't turn on. I was playing with the charging cable again and turned it on, noticed my battery was at 0%. I mainly plug my laptop in all the time cause either the battery life doesn't go very long, since I use my laptop a lot at school and home, or I have a low frame rate when I'm playing games/using graphic apps so I need that charger to be plugged in all the time for better performance. I know that ain't good for your pc's battery but at this point I couldn't care about the battery life without having it plugged in. I just want to know what is causing my laptop to go from a 100% plugged in battery to a 0% unplugged in a second. when this happens my battery just needs to be charged again to 100% (which doesn't take long) so it's very weird.

Best Answer

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓
    lckr said:
    @andylb I have uninstalled that but still got the same problem
    OK just checking. I think that you have a bad battery

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good evening lckr !

The main information was missing ...
    What EXACT model of your laptop?

Have you done the battery reset yet?
    Did you check the power interruption button?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• lckr

Tinkerer

MaClane said:
    Good evening lckr !

The main information was missing ...
    What EXACT model of your laptop?

Have you done the battery reset yet?
    Did you check the power interruption button?

thank you for your reply. 
    my laptop model is Aspire VN7-791G.

I have never reset my battery or check the power interruption button (what exactly do you mean with that?) 
    I do think it's something in my laptop that is breaking the contact with the charger
  • andylb
    It sounds like you have a damaged charger adapter, if possible borrow a friends charger that has an adapter that fits your laptop and if it fits snugly without having to position it as you have been doing, then you need a new charger. If it still has the same problem then you have a damaged connector in the Laptop itself and you will need to take it to a service center for repair. You mentioned that keeping the laptop plugged in to power 100% of the time is not good for the battery, this is incorrect for the Acer models, they can be left on charge and when the battery reaches 100% the charging shuts off, indeed it is recommended that when gaming you charge the battery to 100% before beginning to game and then keep it on the charger while you game. I hope this helps

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• MaClane
    There is a power interrupt button:

httpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditoriscep5djl3gb9qpnghttpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditorgi57v66l1peudqpnghttpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditorfjy9cjo49asj4tpng

If it is not being pressed properly or the casing is misaligned, this error may occur.
    This button causes the power to be cut off so that the notebook is not improperly connected when the device is open.

Check the same and use something like a layer of insulation tape to force and press this button correctly.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    CALIBRATION AND BATTERY RESET

First, disable Quick Start in the power options and disconnect the notebook from the power outlet.

httpsikinja-imgcomgawker-mediaimageuploads--xWOn54Iw--c_scalef_autofl_progressiveq_80w_8001526844273443938480png

BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET
    Access the device manager and look for the "acpi-compatible control method battery driver" and "Microsoft AC Adapter" and give it up.
    Then restart the notebook for Windows to reinstall and remove any errors.

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201811img_5bfe7020cb7efjpg

Process to reset the battery

Disconnect the power adapter.
        Locate the hole to reset the battery in the bottom of the computer.
        He inserted a small clip into the hole. Hold the reset button for 05 seconds.
        Let the computer rest for 5 minutes without power.
        Plug in the power adapter and turn on the system.

External Battery Pack

If your notebook has an external battery, proceed as follows:
    1- Unplug the appliance from the mains and then disconnect the battery.
    2- Press the power button for thirty seconds, so that the static power is dissipated.
    3 - Replace the battery and turn the unit on.

Process for calibrating the battery

For this, you must turn off the device and give a 100% charge.
    Then unplug and use the battery until the battery runs out.
    Reload it as before.
    Repeat the process 3 times so that all cells are fully calibrated.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• andylb
    @MaClane I think this is a power cord issue not a battery issue, he states that his power cord has a bad connection to the laptop

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• MaClane
    andylb disse:
    @MaClane I think this is a power cord issue not a battery issue, he states that his power cord has a bad connection to the laptop

It is possible, but we must make sure of all the points before arriving at this conclusion, do not you think?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• andylb
    @MaClane agreed 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• lckr

Tinkerer

so, I have been gaming a bit without my laptop plugged in, and it shut down at 85%. my pc was hot. I use a cooler and extra ventilator to keep it cool as much as I can. so i also think it's an overheating thing? I haven't tried any of the solutions that you guys have stated above, but i think i'm just gonna bring my laptop asap to a service.. :/
  • andylb
    lckr said:
    so, I have been gaming a bit without my laptop plugged in, and it shut down at 85%. my pc was hot. I use a cooler and extra ventilator to keep it cool as much as I can. so i also think it's an overheating thing? I haven't tried any of the solutions that you guys have stated above, but i think i'm just gonna bring my laptop asap to a service.. :/
    Nitros and Predators and indeed most gaming laptops, are not designed to game on battery only, they cannot run on high performance on battery only and they will run hotter that way. You MUST have your battery charged to 100% BEFORE gaming and keep it plugged in, that is how they are designed

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• lckr

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    and today my laptop won't even turn on without my charger. I tried it several times. even when it says it has 82% battery left. when I unplug the charger it shuts down. but this time even when i play with my cable it doesn't get unplugged as it used to, so now that is very strange. as if it that part got fixed and another problem shows up. my pc just gets worse every other day
  • lckr

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    battery is also stuck at 82% and won't work without my charger. I think my battery is dead? it says plugged in, charging.. but it really is not 
  • lckr

Tinkerer

something I also forgot to write is that yesterday when I moved my laptop, the charging cable got unplugged from its adapter so I had to push this back in (i think the connection problem was relied on that for a long time.....) cause I keep playing with the cable while my laptop is plugged in and it doesn't lose any connection anymore. but it doesn't work without charging this time so it horribly sucks :( 
  • andylb
    lckr said:
    You said that you haven't tried any of the solutions, I strongly advise you to try @MaClane solution shown below, do what he outlines then reboot your laptop and report back please

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201811img_5bfe7020cb7efjpg

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• lckr

Tinkerer

@andylb I have uninstalled that but still got the same problem
  • andylb
    edited July 2019 Answer ✓