Acer Spin 1 SP111-31 P5KD | No Boot Device

garyreal
garyreal Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, 

I recently tried to upgrade my HDD being very slow to an SSD.

I cloned my old HDD to the new SSD, everything looks good.  I also upgraded the RAM from 4GB to 8GB.  

Only issue is, now BIOS could not detect the SSD, I tried F9, to load factory defaults but still BIOS would not detect the SSD and even the old HDD.

I saw one post that says, issue was resolved when they loaded or upgraded the BIOS.

Question is, what is the latest BIOS i can use for my Acer Spin 1 SP111-31 P5KD?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best Answers

Answers

• garyreal

Tinkerer

Also, how can i update my BIOS if i can't reach into my SSD?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    you need a working windows OS to flash a new BIOS and...since it's not detecting the old HDD too, i hope you didn't break the connector.
    latest BIOS version is 1.11
    https://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.11_A_A.zip?acerid=636813045149085669&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=SPIN&Step3=SP111-31&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

flash it with battery at 100% and AC charger connected.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • garyreal

Tinkerer

Thank you Ironfly  for the link, will try that. Now the only issue is how to go to windows to flash the bios
  • garyreal

Tinkerer

@ironfly , can i boot on USB (LINUX) and run bios update from there?

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    No, just windows x64 enviroment.
  • garyreal

Tinkerer

Too bad, i cant load the new bios as system could not detect any SSD.  I've ordered a SATA connector for my Acer Spin, waiting for it to arrive so we can see if the cable is the root of the issue.
  • garyreal

Tinkerer

Hi @IronFly ,

I ordered 2 SATA connectors from 2 different supplier.

The first one arrived and still, i'm having a no boot drive found.

When i go inside bios, it cannot detect the HDD.

Any other alternative route to resolve the issue of no boot device found other than wait for the next connector and hope that it will work?

Any other way to load the bios?

Thank you very much for the assistance.
  • IronFly
    No other way for BIOS and the last thing you can try is to check the SSD and HDD in another PC.
  • garyreal

Tinkerer

Hi @IronFly,

Both HDD and SSD work can be used using another Laptop.  Check everything and all are intact, files etc.

check all other movable connections and it was intact.   Also, the only connector i touched is this disk cable connector as i need to replace the HDD.

• garyreal

Tinkerer

Thank you @IronFlyfor the insights.  Cable connector came in today, installed it and Voila, upgraded the Laptop with SSD drive and 8GB RAM