I think the cable connecting the display to the motherboard on my Acer Aspire E 15 is broken

JohnFrantzen
JohnFrantzen Member Posts: 23 Networker
Hi

My screen is flickering horribly on my laptop and it seems to be due to a faulty connection between the motherboard and the display.
I've disassembled the laptop and removed the screen to check if the cable was loose, but it's not so I think the cable might be broken.

This problem first occurred only a few months after I bought it, but it happened super rarely and it usually just went away if I pushed the screen down a little bit while it was open standing in an upright position.
I sent it in to the store where I bought it for them to have a look at it, I said I thought the cable might be loose, but they came back to me telling me they had checked and the cable was not loose.
They couldn't reproduce the error of course as it happened just a very few times and during that time I used the laptop probably around 16 hours a day.
When I disassembled it myself today (2 years later) to check for myself I noticed one of the screws were a little damaged as if it had been unscrewed before so I believe they did have a look and like me, they noticed the cable was connected properly.

So I was wondering then, is it possible for me to buy a new cable like that and what is it called?

At the moment the laptop is pretty much unusable, screen is constantly freezing while flickering really badly, I can usually make it work by pushing down on the screen while it's in an upright position, but it's not exactly comfortable to use the laptop like that so I'd like to see if I can fix it.

Yeah it's a cheap ***** laptop and I've actually already ordered me a new one, but would be cool if I could fix this screen issue cause otherwise the laptop is okay.

The laptop is currently disassembled and I don't really wanna bother assembling it fully again before having fixed this, but I found an image on tom's hardware of a guy having the same flickering as I get so I'll add that as well as pictures of the motherboard and the cable I'm talking about.

Answers

• JohnFrantzen
    JohnFrantzen Member Posts: 23 Networker
    Actually I think I found it (unfortunately have to order form abroad it seems), but what is that thin wire coming out of the cable?
    I thought it was a connection to the webcam, but that doesn't really make much sense does it?

• kaustubh555
    kaustubh555 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi

My screen is flickering horribly on my laptop and it seems to be due to a faulty connection between the motherboard and the display.
    I've disassembled the laptop and removed the screen to check if the cable was loose, but it's not so I think the cable might be broken.

This problem first occurred only a few months after I bought it, but it happened super rarely and it usually just went away if I pushed the screen down a little bit while it was open standing in an upright position.
    I sent it in to the store where I bought it for them to have a look at it, I said I thought the cable might be loose, but they came back to me telling me they had checked and the cable was not loose.
    They couldn't reproduce the error of course as it happened just a very few times and during that time I used the laptop probably around 16 hours a day.
    When I disassembled it myself today (2 years later) to check for myself I noticed one of the screws were a little damaged as if it had been unscrewed before so I believe they did have a look and like me, they noticed the cable was connected properly.

So I was wondering then, is it possible for me to buy a new cable like that and what is it called?

At the moment the laptop is pretty much unusable, screen is constantly freezing while flickering really badly, I can usually make it work by pushing down on the screen while it's in an upright position, but it's not exactly comfortable to use the laptop like that so I'd like to see if I can fix it.

Yeah it's a cheap ***** laptop and I've actually already ordered me a new one, but would be cool if I could fix this screen issue cause otherwise the laptop is okay.

The laptop is currently disassembled and I don't really wanna bother assembling it fully again before having fixed this, but I found an image on tom's hardware of a guy having the same flickering as I get so I'll add that as well as pictures of the motherboard and the cable I'm talking about.

I too have faced the same issue it seems...My Screen too has become Reddish and parts of it have become white it happened automatically while i was watching utube. no external damage of any kind but it still occured. I cannot think of acer again.
    -Kaustubh Y - Aurangabad, M.H. BHARAT(india)