Is it okay that my AN715-51 become very hot when gaming?

Rio22
Rio22 Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in Nitro Gaming
My Nitro AN715-51becomes very hot in just 30 minutes into gaming. CPU at 95°C and GPU at 85°C.

The metal part between keyboard and screen is very hot, I could not put my finger on it more than 5 second, it felt burning. The heat when pressing the WASD key is also distracting when playing.

The fans are also very loud to the point it is too distracting to play anymore.

I stop playing in just 1 hour fearing the laptop might broke.

It is my first gaming laptop, I know they usually become hot when we play games  but this too much. 

My question are, can I just keep playing (bear with the heat and fan noises)? Do the components will be okay in long term use?

I know there are options to undervolt and use cooling pad. But if I have to resort to those, then this laptop is not really a good laptop, not worth buying in the first place. Cooling pad makes the laptop less portable. Undervolting is commonly used to gain performance not to desperately reduce temperature, and it does not help anyway in my case.

I play Total War: Three Kingdoms & Witcher 3 on it.
I use MSI afterburner to undervolt.

[Edited to add model name]

Answers

• Rio22

Tinkerer

I also have undervolted with ThrottleStop
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    Nitros and Predators are designed to run hot and 90 deg with spikes is acceptable. I have my fans on Max and I use a Targus powered cooling mat and the Notebook and mat both fit in the Acer supplied cloth case. If these things don't work and you have already throttled back, consider repasting. If it's still under warranty contact Acer if not repaste with Grizzly Kryonaut for a 5 to 10 deg drop

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Rio22

Tinkerer

andylb said:
    Nitros and Predators are designed to run hot and 90 deg with spikes is acceptable. I have my fans on Max and I use a Targus powered cooling mat and the Notebook and mat both fit in the Acer supplied cloth case. If these things don't work and you have already throttled back, consider repasting. If it's still under warranty contact Acer if not repaste with Grizzly Kryonaut for a 5 to 10 deg drop
    About repasting, no way, I just bought the laptop 3 days ago.

Maxing fans will be very loud, it is annoying.

When I keep pressing the key "W", finger get so hot, can't concentrate when playing.

• andylb
    edited July 2019
    @Rio22 With regards repasting, it is generally agreed here that some models have been badly pasted or pasted with an inferior paste and it is quite a common topic on the forum, Acer will repaste under the warranty. Maxing fans may be loud but you cannot play demanding games on any other setting than Max with Coolboost and expect temps within range, suggestion use earbuds while gaming. Throttling back a little can really help with temps without noticeably affecting performance. I'm sorry if the answers I've suggested don't solve your problem but they are about the only ones your going to get on this forum. good luck

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Rio22

Tinkerer

@andylb Thank you. How do I know if my model is badly pasted? Do I just bring it to Acer Service Center?

Yes, I will use earbuds because there is a game that require players to hear the steps of enemies coming. I can not hear them because of the fans. 

What do you mean by throttling back? Undervolting? I already done that but still hot.

I just need reduced the heat on keyboard now then all is okay, maybe use external keyboard.

Thank you again.
  • andylb
    Rio22 said:
    @andylb Thank you. How do I know if my model is badly pasted? Do I just bring it to Acer Service Center?

Yes, I will use earbuds because there is a game that require players to hear the steps of enemies coming. I can not hear them because of the fans. 

What do you mean by throttling back? Undervolting? I already done that but still hot.

I just need reduced the heat on keyboard now then all is okay, maybe use external keyboard.

Thank you again.

I'm glad to help, yes throttling back is Undervolting. There is no way for sure to know if it's badly pasted  but everything points to it, so if you have a service center near you I would take it there and explain the problem and ask them to repaste, they will probably do a good job because the inadequate pasting was done during mass production. 

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• DjJazz
    DjJazz Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know this is late but let me share what i've done to mine:

at first i was also hitting 90-95 degrees when i was playing so i undervolted it (-145v)(specs below). It almost made no difference because of the cooling system this laptop has. Then i decided to void the warranty and have repasted by myself (unfortunately, warranty here in the Philippines doesnt cover repasting. The only thing they would tell you is to enjoy the laptop until the warranty expires.) The highest i got when playing games after that is 93 degrees. I started tinkering on the power plan and processor state management (Tried setting 99% on max processor state and power plan on balanced), it didnt go over 85 after that but the framerate of other games dipped below 50. Then continued experimenting. Bottomline is i've set the max cpu boost to 3.5GHz, and the cpu didnt go over 85 without sacrificing FPS on games (tried it on modern warfare 2019, BFV, and NFS Heat). The heat on the WASD keys didnt bother me much because it was so tolerable. hope this helps (all of this is done with fans running at full tilt).

Here are my specs BTW:
    i5 9300h
    12gb DDR4 RAM
    GT1660 Ti 6gb
    60Hz screen

:)

PS: Ive used Throttlestop to tweak my cpu settings
  • DonRix
    DonRix Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    DjJazz said:
    I know this is late but let me share what i've done to mine:

at first i was also hitting 90-95 degrees when i was playing so i undervolted it (-145v)(specs below). It almost made no difference because of the cooling system this laptop has. Then i decided to void the warranty and have repasted by myself (unfortunately, warranty here in the Philippines doesnt cover repasting. The only thing they would tell you is to enjoy the laptop until the warranty expires.) The highest i got when playing games after that is 93 degrees. I started tinkering on the power plan and processor state management (Tried setting 99% on max processor state and power plan on balanced), it didnt go over 85 after that but the framerate of other games dipped below 50. Then continued experimenting. Bottomline is i've set the max cpu boost to 3.5GHz, and the cpu didnt go over 85 without sacrificing FPS on games (tried it on modern warfare 2019, BFV, and NFS Heat). The heat on the WASD keys didnt bother me much because it was so tolerable. hope this helps (all of this is done with fans running at full tilt).

Here are my specs BTW:
    i5 9300h
    12gb DDR4 RAM
    GT1660 Ti 6gb
    60Hz screen

:)

PS: Ive used Throttlestop to tweak my cpu settings

hey bro, i have the same exact laptop..Could you please share screenshot  of the settings u set on throttlestop? :)
  • LordGainford
    LordGainford Member Posts: 2 New User
    Same issue for us, getting close to 100 C for CPU, throttling in games and eventually would blue screen from overheating. 

What we did to fix our issue:

The fans in this laptop get very blocked up with dust so it needs to constantly be opened up and blown out. Also best to have the laptop on a stand with external keyboard when gaming so fans can properly breathe.
    We also did a thermal repaste. Both of these helped bring the heat down a bit but still was hitting 95C

What eventually fixed the problem for us is that in Acer Nitro there is a new setting called Power Saving mode. Once we put it to that setting it brought the heat way down to acceptable levels.   
  • Julios
    Julios Member Posts: 1 New User
    Same issue for us, getting close to 100 C for CPU, throttling in games and eventually would blue screen from overheating. 

What we did to fix our issue:

The fans in this laptop get very blocked up with dust so it needs to constantly be opened up and blown out. Also best to have the laptop on a stand with external keyboard when gaming so fans can properly breathe.
    We also did a thermal repaste. Both of these helped bring the heat down a bit but still was hitting 95C

What eventually fixed the problem for us is that in Acer Nitro there is a new setting called Power Saving mode. Once we put it to that setting it brought the heat way down to acceptable levels.   
    What i did was undervolt to -153mv then lower clockspeed to 3.6ghz....i must say temps never go past 87 degree and w a s d ok to touch....no compromise in fps too

I used throttlestop 
    And my model is nitro 7 i5 9300h with gtx 1650
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Julios,

Good to know thanks for your information. It will be useful for many people. ​