Enable freesynce with new G-sync compatible?(Acer XG270HU)

Shmayken
Shmayken Member Posts: 2 New User
edited July 2019 in Monitors
Recently nvidia has made their g-sync compatible with certain freesync monitors.  I have a compatible monitor, Acer XG270HU, my problem is nvidia says to enable freesync via "on screen controls" im thinking that means the built in menu of the monitor itself.  However there is no option called "freesync" and all i can find is walkthroughs on how to download and use an AMD program/drivers.  I use windows 10 64 bit and a nvidia 1070 ti. Plz help. =3

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    @Shmayken

Hello,

There's nothing that you need to change on the monitor.

You must be connected via display port and you must use an Nvidia graphics driver that is version 417.71 or newer.  And then it all happens automatically.  You can check Nvidia control panel to confirm.

I've linked an article below.

https://www.techradar.com/how-to/how-to-turn-your-freesync-monitor-into-a-g-sync-monitor

If you still have problems, you may have to reset your monitor to factory defaults (see user manual below)

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/5870?b=1

Edit: And then if you still have problems.........   :)

You may have to double check your model #.   There's two different  versions of the XG270HU.   There's the XG270HU that maxes out at 144 Hz.   And then there's the XG270HUA   a/k/a  XG270HUAomidpx which maxes out at 75Hz.  A lot of people get confused as to which model they have.  I know the XG270HU is gsync compatible, but not sure about the XG270HUA.
    You may have to call Acer support if you are unsure as to which model you have (and if it's gsync compatible)
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Shmayken
    Shmayken Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you for the response.  I have the 144hz monitor. Ive tried just turning it on in the nvidia panel and running a game. I've tried on Final Fantasy 15 and Elder Scrolls Online.  FFXV had a flashing/blinking effect during loading screens and ESO has the same during gameplay and load screens.  I do/did have the V-Sync enabled in the games settings, I'll try disabling it in-game and enabling through nvidia.  If that doesnt work im out of ideas. =(
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited July 2019
    Ok sorry.

If the following doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas. 

1. Reset your monitor to factory defaults.  Just use the factory default settings on the monitor.  For troubleshooting purposes, please don't make any changes to the factory settings.

2.  Uninstall/delete your graphics driver and reinstall a fresh driver.

3.  If you have a friend, neighbor, or family member with a 10xx or 20xx nvidia graphics card, you could try using their computer.

4.  Check with Nvidia support or forum on how to get it working.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MVanella
    MVanella Member Posts: 1 New User
    I know this is an old post but I wanted to leave a note here in case anyone else had a similar issue that I had been searching for. I've had the screen flickering issue with this same model (XG270HU) and freesync. I also had an issue that was browser specific: When viewing YouTube videos in full screen only using the Brave browser (not Chrome or Firefox or Chromium Edge) the screen would flicker.

Using JordanB's advice above of resetting the monitor settings to factory default fixed the YouTube issue. I have yet to try the fix on a fullscreen game yet.
  • quanosky
    quanosky Member Posts: 7 New User
    My friend had the issues with G-Sync with the Acer monitor, and the issue was with the cable in his case.
    The cable supplied by Acer was causing the flicking. After purchasing the new cable, the issue went away.