completely inactive computer screen+keyboard+mouse

user1789
user1789 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi,
     so my Acer Chromebook with a touchscreen has completely frozen. I mean, I can still move the mouse around a bit but I can only see it certain places. the keyboard is completely inactivated. DON'T TELL ME TO DO THE RESTART THING!!! it doesn't work!!! ya, so you might be thinking, "just use the touchscreen." well that doesn't work either.
so to sum it up:
-frozen screen
-curser can't move
-the keyboard doesn't work
-touchscreen inactivated(won't do anything)

PLEEEAAASSSE help me. I don't know what to do and I have limited time. please help me! I really freaking out and I need this fixed by tomorrow! (7/12/2019). I'd really appreciate it.

it'd also help if you could tell me the cheapest place to book an appointment if nothing will work.

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Hi!!

@user1789  

As it is a Chromebook, I recommend you to try performing a Powerwash & restore Chromebook to factory defaults. 

Use the following steps to restore the Chrome OS:

1. Press & hold power button for 5 to 10 seconds to turn off your Chromebook.
    2. Press and hold the Esc key and refresh (F3) key and then press the power button to turn on the Chromebook.
    3. The Chromebook will boot to Developer Mode. Press Ctrl + D to turn off OS verification.
    4. When prompted to turn OS verification off, press Enter and the Chromebook will restart.
    5. At the OS verification is OFF screen, do not press the spacebar. The recovery process will start automatically after approximately 15 seconds.
    6. The restore process takes about 5 minutes. A progress bar appears at the top of the screen.
    7. The Chromebook restarts and prompts to re-enable verification. Press the spacebar.
    8. Press Enter to confirm that you wish to turn OS verification on.
    9. OS verification is back on and Chromebook reboots automatically.
    10. The "Welcome!" screen will be displayed and you can complete the on screen instructions.

Your Chromebook is now set to factory default settings. Please post back the result. 

:) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• user1789
    user1789 Member Posts: 7 New User
    I appreciate your help but nothing will click and the power button is inactive. nothing you click will work.
  • Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    user1789 said:
    I appreciate your help but nothing will click and the power button is inactive. nothing you click will work.
    Really sorry to know it. If you believe your Chromebook is under warranty, I recommend you to contact Acer technical Support in your region https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ and look for repair options. 
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Press and hold the power button by itself for 30 seconds. That should force a power shut down. Then try starting it normally.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.