X Window System unusable with Debian 10 (Buster) on Acer Aspire 3 laptop

rsarson
rsarson Member Posts: 1 New User
edited March 20 in 2019 Archives
Hello!

Bit of a newbie to the forum here.  A few months ago, I received an Acer Aspire 3 laptop and have been attempting to setup dual-boot with Windows 10 and Debian on it.

I managed to get around Acer's broken UEFI Secure Boot issues and install Debian 9 with help from the following thread: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/543729/efi-dual-boot-not-seeing-linux-on-nitro-5-an515-51-78c6.

Before the X Window System would load, however, and to the fix the Ethernet & WiFi issues, I had to boot with "nomodeset" to get to a console in order to install firmware-linux, firmware-realtek and firmware-iwlwifi.

Once I finally got up and running, I would get continuous crashes while running video and other issues related to sleep/hibernation.  I eventually gave up looking for solutions to these problems and thought I'd wait until Debian 10 was released and start from scratch.

From a clean install of Debian 10, X is now very broken.  Clicking on the file manager, the frame of the window loads and then maybe 3 minutes later, the folder icons appear.  If I try to move or close the window, it's delayed for several more minutes.  After a few more minutes, the lock screen will appear but it is not possible to log back in and the screen just goes black after clicking the mouse, forcing me to reboot (which I must do with the power button because "sudo reboot" in the ctrl-alt-f1 console doesn't work either.  And yes, I disabled 'turn on fast startup' in Windows).

I assume this is just more of the same - "linux amd video drivers, blah, blah, blah" - but that, combined with the buggy UEFI (I've installed the latest BIOS update from Acer released last month), the sleep/hibernation/reboot issues and other firmware problems has lead me to the tl;dr version: this laptop is not suitable for Debian.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon rsarson !

There is no such thing as "this laptop is not suitable for Debian / Ubuntu / Kali" or whatever Linux distribution.
    All a matter of settings and knowledge.

Being dual-boot, have you disabled the Windows "power-on" option in the power section already?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!