Can not enter Bios Acer Switch Alpha 12

Hilco
Hilco Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hi all,

I received a Acer Switch Alpha 12 from one of our customers, that won't boot past the Acer logo. It is also not possible to startup from USB or enter the Bios. Things we tried are:
- Letting the laptop completely run out of power and restart with adapter connected
- Starting up with USB stick
- Startup laptop without keyboard attached

Nothing seems to help. Does anyone else have some tips i can try?

Kind regards,
Hilco Regterschot

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited July 2019
    try pressing F2 key at boot or without the keyboard
    1. Power off the device.
    2. Press and hold the Volume Up (+) button while pressing and holding the Power button to turn on the system. Release the Power button when the display backlight turns on. The system should enter the UEFI/BIOS setup.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Hilco

Tinkerer

IronFly said:
    try pressing F2 key at boot or without the keyboard
    1. Power off the device.
    2. Press and hold the Volume Up (+) button while pressing and holding the Power button to turn on the system. Release the Power button when the display backlight turns on. The system should enter the UEFI/BIOS setup.
    Hi Ironfly,

Both methods we already tried and did not work and Bios can not be entered. Do you maybe have another suggestion?
  • IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    this is not BIOS related but if you press Alt+F10 keys at boot, are you able to enter windows recovery?
    if not, probably there's an error on the eMMC and that device need to be repaired by Acer support service.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Hilco

Tinkerer

Hi Ironfly,

Als tried your last tip. Unfortunately not working. Thanks for your advices.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Just in case it's actually a keyboard problem (unlikely since the sans keyboard options aren't working) try an external keyboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hilco

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey,

Also tried your suggestion, also not working. Thanks for the advice.
  • billsey
    Then as suggested it's time for a trip back to Acer to repair the bad SSD. If you are out of warranty you might be able to replace it yourself or have a tech do it. The SA12 is not the easiest tablet to take apart. There are two things to be especially aware of, start the split at upper left to minimize the chance of breaking the edges and be especially careful with the tiny cables that connect the motherboard to the display and keyboard mount.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Hilco

Tinkerer

Hi Billsey,

We are gone give it a trie. 
  • jmclaughlin27
    jmclaughlin27 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Tap F12 repeated on startup (from power-off).
  • billsey
    The key for entering the BIOS is F2, not F12. F12 gives you the boot menu, but only if it's turned on in the BIOS.
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 687 Moderator
    Tap F12 repeated on startup (from power-off).
    Hi @jmclaughlin27

We thank you for joining our Acer community and sharing your posts. It looks like you have posted your comment on one of the older threads. Adding comments to older ones may not get much attention. We request you to create a new post/topic that way our community members would be able to respond quickly.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel