Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

BIOS update to support Ryzen 3700x? Helios 500 question

12346

FAQ & Answers

  • xapimxapim Posts: 3,160ACE Pathfinder
    edited September 17
    NiteNinja said:
    I bought a cheapo 128gb M.2 SATA drive to confirm that the slot behaves like that. Even on the Intel model, the second M 2 slot is ideally configured to handle a Optane module. 

    You can have either 2x M.2 SATA drives (RAID or no RAID), or 1 of each M.2 NVME and M.2 SATA. WD and Samsung seem to have the only 2TB M.2 SATA drives on the market, and they're well north of $230 USD. 

    This seems to be a chipset or BIOS limitation as we know the Ryzen 2000 series has enough PCI-E lanes to run the GPU, and dual NVMe drives at 8x,4x,4x respectively with the 4 remaining to communicate with the chipset. But I'm getting into the weeds here for the scope of this forum thread. 
    NiteNinja i have a wd blue 3d nand 2tb myself and it works great more than enough for someone jutst gaming and normal work but for content creators and rendering i would really suggest nvme apart from that its a waste of money :)

    All my games are in the external hdd and they all run fine only had to move to into the ssd so far MHW and Anthem apart from that no issues at all and between all the launchers i have about 120 games installed if not more just on steam i have 97 (of 473 so far) not counting blizzard,bethesda,origin (basic),uplay(+),epigames,gog etc... :)


    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

    UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

    I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

    Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1969145569968592/
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  


  • Seki_CLSeki_CL Posts: 6Member New User
    edited September 24
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
  • NiteNinjaNiteNinja Posts: 38Member Devotee
    Seki_CL said:
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
    With the news of the ABBA driver causing voltage issues for many people on desktop platform 3000 series, I'm not too concerned anymore to be honest. 

    My freesync works just fine with the latest drivers. Are you downloading them from AMD's official website? This is a desktop GPU chip so download and install the Vega 56 drivers just like if you were downloading them for a tower PC. Do not install any mobility Vega or APU graphics drivers.

    If done correctly you'll have the option in your display tab in the Crimson Control panel. 


  • NoBlemishNoBlemish Posts: 1Member New User
    edited September 24
    New Bios 1.09 was released today. Does this support 3rd gen ryzen???

    Says "Update EC code" in the description.
  • Seki_CLSeki_CL Posts: 6Member New User
    NiteNinja said:
    Seki_CL said:
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
    With the news of the ABBA driver causing voltage issues for many people on desktop platform 3000 series, I'm not too concerned anymore to be honest. 

    My freesync works just fine with the latest drivers. Are you downloading them from AMD's official website? This is a desktop GPU chip so download and install the Vega 56 drivers just like if you were downloading them for a tower PC. Do not install any mobility Vega or APU graphics drivers.

    If done correctly you'll have the option in your display tab in the Crimson Control panel. 



    the free sync was lost for the laptop screen, can you verify it? Disconnect your screens, so download them from the amd page, but when cleaning the old drivers with ddu and installing the ones on the page, I lose the freesync, but if I install the old drivers again it recovers, weird, doesn't it?

    by the way I just updated the bios just released version 1.09 will be the update for Ryzen 3000?
  • NiteNinjaNiteNinja Posts: 38Member Devotee
    Seki_CL said:
    NiteNinja said:
    Seki_CL said:
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
    With the news of the ABBA driver causing voltage issues for many people on desktop platform 3000 series, I'm not too concerned anymore to be honest. 

    My freesync works just fine with the latest drivers. Are you downloading them from AMD's official website? This is a desktop GPU chip so download and install the Vega 56 drivers just like if you were downloading them for a tower PC. Do not install any mobility Vega or APU graphics drivers.

    If done correctly you'll have the option in your display tab in the Crimson Control panel. 



    the free sync was lost for the laptop screen, can you verify it? Disconnect your screens, so download them from the amd page, but when cleaning the old drivers with ddu and installing the ones on the page, I lose the freesync, but if I install the old drivers again it recovers, weird, doesn't it?

    by the way I just updated the bios just released version 1.09 will be the update for Ryzen 3000?


    https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-series/radeon-rx-vega-56
  • kingmetalkingmetal Posts: 13Member

    Tinkerer

    Interesting. I wonder what the BIOS that just dropped today contains?

    Update EC code isn't exactly descriptive.


  • NiteNinjaNiteNinja Posts: 38Member Devotee
    kingmetal said:
    Interesting. I wonder what the BIOS that just dropped today contains?

    Update EC code isn't exactly descriptive.


    Says its an "Embedded Controller" update, unfortunately not a BIOS Microcode update. Wish we knew what embedded controller though, whether being the chipset or something else.
  • FotocopiadoraFotocopiadora Posts: 1Member New User
    Seki_CL said:
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
    Reinstall the amd driver package from acer for the helios 500, if you want to update, from the amd page, use manual install, and dont do the recomended clean install, just install, if you do clean install, it deletes some weird dirver not found on the amd packages, and you lose the freesync
  • kingmetalkingmetal Posts: 13Member

    Tinkerer

    Seki_CL said:
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
    Reinstall the amd driver package from acer for the helios 500, if you want to update, from the amd page, use manual install, and dont do the recomended clean install, just install, if you do clean install, it deletes some weird dirver not found on the amd packages, and you lose the freesync

    Seki_CL said:
    Hello how are you, I tell you, I bought this notebook for some offers that had been in Amazon a while ago, what catches my attention is that there are still no bios to support the Ryzen 3000, I don't know why acer still does not, on the other hand they have not updated the video drivers of the vega 56, so download the most updated from the amd page, but apparently I lose the free sync by installing any current driver, only the free sync is maintained with the old drivers from the acer page, how can that be solved? since some games have better performance with more current drivers.
    Reinstall the amd driver package from acer for the helios 500, if you want to update, from the amd page, use manual install, and dont do the recomended clean install, just install, if you do clean install, it deletes some weird dirver not found on the amd packages, and you lose the freesync
    ^ this is correct. I also find that drivers past 19.5.1 don't resume from sleep properly. The rumor is that's being resolved with a Windows update - and honestly, Windows boots so fast now I might just disable suspend.

  • TimoFaustTimoFaust Posts: 49Member Devotee
    BurnsXL said:
    update - going to do this tonight, the first boot kit I got was damaged in transit I believe (FedEx just threw it over my fence and it was in the yard for like a week, got wet). 
    Whenever I read something like this, I get really triggered.
  • NiteNinjaNiteNinja Posts: 38Member Devotee
    On a somewhat unrelated note, I just got done editing the power play tables for this Vega 56. I have p7 set to 1600 megahertz at 1 volt, at +50% power allowance which allows it to use 180 Watts. I have 20% or more across-the-board performance improvement in every game and benchmark I tested it on. Silicon lottery winner? Now I kinda wish I could put a ryzen 3000 series processor in. 
  • deksman2deksman2 Posts: 14Member

    Tinkerer

    Seki_CL said:

    by the way I just updated the bios just released version 1.09 will be the update for Ryzen 3000?

    You updated the BIOS to 1.09?
    I just tried it last night, and my attempt at updating the BIOS (from 1.08 version) resulted in a failed update (refusing to post).
    I was on AC power, didn't interrupt the update... and once it was done and restarted itself, bam, black screen, no Acer logo, no booting into Windows.

    How did you update the BIOS?
    I updated mine through the Windows executable file as usual.
    This is the first time something like this happened to me.



  • deksman2deksman2 Posts: 14Member

    Tinkerer


    I ended up going to PC World (since the laptop is under warranty) after speaking to their technical support about re-flashing and was told to just bring it in for re-flashing.
    Should be done in 7 days, but I have my doubts about that estimate... could be longer if they decide to replace the motherboard and cannot flash the BIOS back to operational status.

    I also tried to recover the BIOS by extracting the BIOS exe contents onto a USB flash drive (8GB, formatted to FAT32) and pressin FN+ESC keys upon powering it up to try and restore it, and while the laptop blue LED light did start blinking as it should, the USB flash drive never turned on... tried it on different ports, waited longer, nothing.

    I even tried formatting it to NTFS and trying the procedure again... nothing.

    Had issues with bootable flash drives and this unit before when I tired doing a clean Windows 10 install.
    The machine refused to recognize the flash drive with bootable windows for some reason, so I had to modify RUFUS with some other BIOS/UEFI options which I didn't fully understand (even though it was set to BIOS/UEFI the first time as well).
    That worked apparently, but once I got into Windows set up, it said it couldn't detect the partition (which was a first time for me that something like that happened).
  • kingmetalkingmetal Posts: 13Member

    Tinkerer

    NiteNinja said:
    On a somewhat unrelated note, I just got done editing the power play tables for this Vega 56. I have p7 set to 1600 megahertz at 1 volt, at +50% power allowance which allows it to use 180 Watts. I have 20% or more across-the-board performance improvement in every game and benchmark I tested it on. Silicon lottery winner? Now I kinda wish I could put a ryzen 3000 series processor in. 
    This piqued my interest for sure. I'd assumed that the TDP limits were set in the BIOS and that powerplay wouldn't over-ride them, but I know very little about powerplay tables. The GPU is the limiting factor in this rig, so a 20% improvement is huge - do you have a tutorial you followed or any other guidance you'd recommend? I may start experimenting with this. You might have won the silicon lottery, but over 1550 isn't unheard of for V56, and 180W isn't anywhere near the limit for the silicon on the GPU.

    How are the heat / noise levels after you made the change? The GPU in these systems runs ice cold and I suspect there is plenty of headroom, but I love how quiet mine is.


  • Seki_CLSeki_CL Posts: 6Member New User
    deksman2 said:
    Seki_CL said:

    by the way I just updated the bios just released version 1.09 will be the update for Ryzen 3000?

    You updated the BIOS to 1.09?
    I just tried it last night, and my attempt at updating the BIOS (from 1.08 version) resulted in a failed update (refusing to post).
    I was on AC power, didn't interrupt the update... and once it was done and restarted itself, bam, black screen, no Acer logo, no booting into Windows.

    How did you update the BIOS?
    I updated mine through the Windows executable file as usual.
    This is the first time something like this happened to me.




    Too bad friend, I did exactly the same, that if I update w10 to the latest version and update each driver to have no errors, the bios download it from my acer account on the official website, I suspect that maybe the bios file I was corrupt. in any case that is covered by the friend guarantee !!!
  • Seki_CLSeki_CL Posts: 6Member New User
    NiteNinja said:
    On a somewhat unrelated note, I just got done editing the power play tables for this Vega 56. I have p7 set to 1600 megahertz at 1 volt, at +50% power allowance which allows it to use 180 Watts. I have 20% or more across-the-board performance improvement in every game and benchmark I tested it on. Silicon lottery winner? Now I kinda wish I could put a ryzen 3000 series processor in. 
    omg, you could upload a video of how you did it, I am interested in that topic, since my vega 56 of the laptop does not heat anything and I want to squeeze its maximum performance !!!
  • deksman2deksman2 Posts: 14Member

    Tinkerer

    Seki_CL said:
    deksman2 said:
    Seki_CL said:

    by the way I just updated the bios just released version 1.09 will be the update for Ryzen 3000?

    You updated the BIOS to 1.09?
    I just tried it last night, and my attempt at updating the BIOS (from 1.08 version) resulted in a failed update (refusing to post).
    I was on AC power, didn't interrupt the update... and once it was done and restarted itself, bam, black screen, no Acer logo, no booting into Windows.

    How did you update the BIOS?
    I updated mine through the Windows executable file as usual.
    This is the first time something like this happened to me.




    Too bad friend, I did exactly the same, that if I update w10 to the latest version and update each driver to have no errors, the bios download it from my acer account on the official website, I suspect that maybe the bios file I was corrupt. in any case that is covered by the friend guarantee !!!
    I checked with PC World and they said the BIOS flash is covered by the warranty, so its not a problem.
    I also downloaded my Acer bios from the official website, and I know I picked the right one.
    But yeah, its possible the BIOS file they had there could have been corrupted.
    Which website did you download yours from?
    I downloaded mine from the Acer UK website... but technically, they should all be the same.

  • Seki_CLSeki_CL Posts: 6Member New User
    deksman2 said:
    Seki_CL said:
    deksman2 said:
    Seki_CL said:

    by the way I just updated the bios just released version 1.09 will be the update for Ryzen 3000?

    You updated the BIOS to 1.09?
    I just tried it last night, and my attempt at updating the BIOS (from 1.08 version) resulted in a failed update (refusing to post).
    I was on AC power, didn't interrupt the update... and once it was done and restarted itself, bam, black screen, no Acer logo, no booting into Windows.

    How did you update the BIOS?
    I updated mine through the Windows executable file as usual.
    This is the first time something like this happened to me.




    Too bad friend, I did exactly the same, that if I update w10 to the latest version and update each driver to have no errors, the bios download it from my acer account on the official website, I suspect that maybe the bios file I was corrupt. in any case that is covered by the friend guarantee !!!
    I checked with PC World and they said the BIOS flash is covered by the warranty, so its not a problem.
    I also downloaded my Acer bios from the official website, and I know I picked the right one.
    But yeah, its possible the BIOS file they had there could have been corrupted.
    Which website did you download yours from?
    I downloaded mine from the Acer UK website... but technically, they should all be the same.


    From acer spain!!!
  • Red-SandRed-Sand Posts: 1,794ACE Pathfinder
    edited October 5
    There is a new BIOs update released.

    Anyone check if the 3900 works in it now?
    I know I had put a bug in the ear of quite a few higher ups in Predator/Acer to see it gets whitelisted.
    (They are gamers and seemed quite eager to give it a go)
    - Hotel Hero
Sign In or Register to comment.

Who's Online136

Alecar
Alecar
andylb
andylb
brummyfan2
brummyfan2
GAURAV123
GAURAV123
Joydebxgx
Joydebxgx
mmwithac
mmwithac
tomr211270
tomr211270
+129 Guests

Join in, share your experience!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Here?

So, what are the rules of this place? Check out our Acer Community User Agreement. Register to get all the benefits of being a member! Get social and introduce yourself in our Welcome Forum, or learn about our ACE Program and What's Happening at Acer.

Member Highlight

We would like to feature andylb as a outstanding member in the Acer Community. With his dedication and support efforts, andylb has become a Valued Contributor . On behalf of the Acer Community team and all our users, we want to recognize and thank you for your dedication!

Total Posts and Comments: 1247

Total Points:3102

Total Accepted Answers: 160

andylb Overclocked Contributor
Good Design Aware 2019
Predator Join the forum discussions on our
Predator line of products.
Find out about the Acer ACE program.