Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

BIOS update to support Ryzen 3700x? Helios 500 question

1235»

FAQ & Answers

• NiteNinjaNiteNinja Posts: 30Member Die Hard
    Helios 700 is out, no AMD 3rd-gen variant. Hopes are dimming. They "improved" the Helios 700 to help with the Intel variant of the 500's cooling drawbacks, but it's fans are louder than ever before. Asus had the first AMD desktop-in-a-laptop, Acer had the second, maybe MSI will have the next one...
  • NottheseapplesNottheseapples Posts: 6Member

Tinkerer

Some folks tried flashing the bios here, long thread.
    good reads
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/acer-predator-vega-56-ryzen-2-helios-500.817796/page-65
  • BurnsXLBurnsXL Posts: 35Member Devotee
    update - going to do this tonight, the first boot kit I got was damaged in transit I believe (FedEx just threw it over my fence and it was in the yard for like a week, got wet). 
  • KrazyatomKrazyatom Posts: 2Member New User
    Great, keep us posted. 
    edited August 17
    Also when reassembling your computer after swapping the CPU (or in my case, swapping thermal paste), be sure to apply liberal amounts of paste to the GPU die. As you can see in the picture, the coldplate only made contact with half the GPU's die. The stock paste, well... putty, is much thicker than Arctic Silver. I went to do a post repaste benchmark and the GPU instantly throttled. The heatsink screw layout is less than optimal as well. The CPU has 4, but the GPU technically has 3, which the bottom left isn't perfectly lined up on mine.
  • bobzdarbobzdar Posts: 33Member Die Hard
    BurnsXL said:
    update - going to do this tonight, the first boot kit I got was damaged in transit I believe (FedEx just threw it over my fence and it was in the yard for like a week, got wet). 
    Any update? It's been a couple of weeks. 
  • JeffTechMediaJeffTechMedia Posts: 1Member New User
    Alright boys I'm here for you. Was dissapointed to hit the end of this without any resolution. So I have the sexy little Helios 500 and I have a 3900X. Let's go all out.
    I'm willing to break them both to make this work. Will also be posting a youtube video of the teardown and attempts. May God be with my laptop. 
    Let us know how it goes - I have a 3700X and can't decide which system to put it in, but if you can get a working bios it'd be a no-brainer to put it in the Helios.
    I tried logging into my Bios-mods forum account but there seems to be an issue with my login information via mobile, so I'll have to check later. They have a whole section dedicated for CPU upgrade support and microcode updating, would be the best plan of action.

Regardless, there will not be a easy software solution to get a 3rd Gen Ryzen to work on this machine, you'll need flashing tools to do it if a custom BIOS is obtained. When I had my computer open, I tried looking for the bugger, but I think it's on the flip side of the board as most of the chips on the visible side seemed to be power management chips, but to be fair I don't know exactly where to look anyway. Just kept googling every chip I could read. I did find a curious little button, which you can reach just above the m.2 trays, mostly covered by the chassis, my best guess it's a CMOS reset button, which would make sense as it's in near proximity to the backup battery. Speaking of that, this computer has a rechargable BIOS backup battery! Something I've never seen before. 

Anyway if anyone else hasn't made a post in Bios-mods, I'll probably get something up soon. 
  • fleaplusfleaplus Posts: 2Member New User
    NiteNinja said:
    I tried logging into my Bios-mods forum account but there seems to be an issue with my login information via mobile, so I'll have to check later. They have a whole section dedicated for CPU upgrade support and microcode updating, would be the best plan of action.

Regardless, there will not be a easy software solution to get a 3rd Gen Ryzen to work on this machine, you'll need flashing tools to do it if a custom BIOS is obtained. When I had my computer open, I tried looking for the bugger, but I think it's on the flip side of the board as most of the chips on the visible side seemed to be power management chips, but to be fair I don't know exactly where to look anyway. Just kept googling every chip I could read. I did find a curious little button, which you can reach just above the m.2 trays, mostly covered by the chassis, my best guess it's a CMOS reset button, which would make sense as it's in near proximity to the backup battery. Speaking of that, this computer has a rechargable BIOS backup battery! Something I've never seen before. 

Anyway if anyone else hasn't made a post in Bios-mods, I'll probably get something up soon. 
    The system bios is along the edge of the GPU heatsink side, near the center of the motherboard. I posted details and photos of it in the NBR forum thread. A modded bios is possible (unlocked RAM timings, etc..) but getting an AGESA update would be complicated because its an Insyde bios instead of Aptio which is far more common for desktop AMD boards.
  • KrazyatomKrazyatom Posts: 2Member New User
    BurnsXL said:
    Any luck? 
  • NottheseapplesNottheseapples Posts: 6Member

Tinkerer

yaaaa lets here it?
  • WarFreak131WarFreak131 Posts: 1Member New User
    Throwing my hat into the ring to figure out what the results of these tests are.
    Time for my bi-weekly check of this thread, looks like no progress so far.  Might be time to take back my SFF, drop in the 3700X, add a 5700XT and give my daughter the Acer instead.