Always high CPU usage, It may concern the hardware or driver issues

Marlod
Marlod Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited May 2023 in All-In-One PCs
Dear Services Team,
I have just bought the All in One PC (S/N : ************************], I'm facing with some abnormality about CPU utilization. During "idle", the CPU utilization is about 30% constantly. There is 1 logical core is 100% always occupied (please see in the attached captures pics). I have done 2 things, reset windows and update the latest of 1809 builds (not 1903, because the latest build of Windows10 make me crazy with many issues.) After check the system resource, I found some points about the "System interrupts". It may concern the hardware or driver issues, maybe the Windows is not able to complete something properly. Could you please support for the investigation and give me some advice to solve this issue. Thank you very much.

[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• Sunrise1973
    Sunrise1973 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

It is my understanding that the System Idle Process is doing this by design. Apparently, the System Idle Process keeps the CPU(s) "busy" on purpose. This is to prevent Windows from crashing. If the CPU does not have any tasks then Windows will crash. You should notice a drastic reduction in the System Idle Process once you start using a program or an app. If you have any games/programs/apps launch one then have a look at your Task Manager, you should see the System Idle Process has greatly reduced because now the CPU is receiving instructions/tasks from your game or program or app. Here are 3 different references:

https://askleo.com/what_is_the_system_idle_process_and_why_is_it_using_most_of_the_cpu/
    https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000729.htm
    https://www.howtogeek.com/411569/what-is-system-idle-process-and-why-is-it-using-so-much-cpu/

Hope that helps
  • Marlod

Tinkerer

Dear Sunrise1973,

Hello my friend, thank you very much for your advice. I fully agree with you about the "System Idle Process" . I also have the other computer (Acer Nitro 5 laptop), the "System Idle Process" is always about CPU 98-99% while the CPU Utilization is also 1-2% with reasonable for each core running during "NOTHING TO DO" period (please see the pictures below). But it is not same as the problem I found with the AIO machine. For AIO, 1 core is always loaded as 100% and the point is CPU Utilization is always 30%, that make the computer heat and hungry more and more power. I think nobody need to pay 100% of price and able to use it just 70% because of this issue (the X process pay 0$ but it use 30% of my computer). I also installed the Windows with clean sweep and scanned with many anti-virus, malware cleaning but not help. I also check with the other AIO of my friends, they have no issue.

• Sunrise1973
    Sunrise1973 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Hi Marlod

Are there any events logged on the core?

Also, does your machine have any programs that may be utilizing that portion of your CPU? Norton, McAfee, and several other antivirus programs run in the background as long as the pc is booted up and they consume huge amounts of RAM and CPU. Is it possible that a running program is consuming that 30%? Possible software that was bundled by the manufacturer? If you have not done so already, try turning your Norton off then reboot and see what happens.

Have you opened Resource Monitor to get a more detailed view of CPU activity?

• Marlod

Tinkerer

Dear Sunrise1973,

Have a nice day, thank you so much for your support. Because I have no time to solve the root cause and that computer is not ready for work (I have a commitment with my customers to deliver the right pc set for them), so I have given it to my parents. It could work fine for their general purpose as family computer (in up-country city). And I have bought the other one already (HP AIO) to complete that project on time. I totally agree with you again about the bundle software (that machines came with McAfee 1 year subscription) Anyhow, I will follow your steps and give you the feedback when I visit them again, maybe the next month (so long distance from here, I usually do once a moth or quarterly). Thank you again for your help, see you soon. Bye.. my friend.
  • Marlod

Tinkerer

Hello, I just comeback from my parents 's home and did many things with the AIO as below;
    1) Uninstall all bundled software (Norton anti-virus, all pre-installed application) -> Not solved
    2) Performed clean-install for Windows10 (and deleted everything) -> Not solved
    3) Regarding 2), All pre-installed drivers are also deleted (by clean-install of Windows 10) and the Windows applied just the basic drivers, the problems are still occurred.

The problem is "CPU0 is always 100% loading" , the turbo boosted is always activated.

I Just found new issue is "There is no Processor Minimize and Maximize State" in the power plan (for all power plan, including new customized plan).

I plan to take it back (from my parents) and send it to the service center in the next week.

Just for update, I will try and try again...

• Marlod

Tinkerer

Hi guys,

I have a bit update about my AIO, I called the on-site service in the last week. The technician has done the Windows cleaned installation, replaced the motherboard. But unfortunately, nothing help. Now the machine was sent to the central service center (local-Thailand), if there is any update, I will post again. Thanks
  • Marlod

Tinkerer

Hello,

After it was sent to the service center for a week. The technician tried to replace the motherboard, re-installed Windows, re-install all drivers, but didn't solve. Finally they flashed the bios, and it work !! This is absolutely technical issue and reflect to the acer QC process. Anyhow, I got my healthy computer back and the performance was recovered to the normal level.

Thanks
  • Tintronic
    Tintronic Member Posts: 1 New User

I too am having high CPU usage from Acer Care Center accstd.exe on my Helios 300 Notebook running Windows 10. It fully uses one core.

Updating to the latest firmware 1.14 had no effect.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling Acer Care Center latest Win10 version 4.00.3042 had no effect.

Uninstalling and Reinstalling Acer Care Center latest Win11 version 4.00.3046 had no effect.

It is supposed to keep the system up to date, but there is no app to open or any way to interact with it.