How can I get the sata cable to install an additional hard drive in my acer nitro 5 an515-51-5082

nitro5gammer
nitro5gammer Member Posts: 4 New User
edited February 2021 in Nitro Gaming
My Acer Nitro 5  Laptop recently ran out of storage on the internal SSD and I was looking to add an additional hard drive in the built-in hard drive bay at the bottom right of the machine. However, there is no sata cable present and I was wondering where I can get one to proceed with the installation of an additional hard drive.

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer
    Hello,
    Which model do you own exactly?
    France
  • nitro5gammer
    acer nitro 5 model number an515-51-5082 15.6" IPS Intel Core i5 7th Gen 7300HQ (2.50 GHz) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD Windows 10 Home 64-Bit
  • laurent_14
    Hello,
    Thanks. Is the HDD bracket also missing?
    France
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi nitro5gammer,

Sorry to hear this, can you please send me a private message with the serial number of your unit to better assist you?

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • kds
    kds Member Posts: 1 New User
    I just bought a Acer Nitro, AN515-54-54W2.  It says you can add a 2.5 inch internal drive, but has no SATA cable.  How do I get a cable?
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi kds,

Have you tried contacting support to order it? 
    Can you please send me a private message with the serial number of your unit to better assist you?

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny
  • TarOkie
    TarOkie Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited August 2019
    kds said:
    I just bought a Acer Nitro, AN515-54-54W2.  It says you can add a 2.5 inch internal drive, but has no SATA cable.  How do I get a cable?
    I bought a samsung 860 EVO to install on my AN515-54-54W2  SNID XXXXXXXXXXX and went to install and there is no sata cable?  How do I get one?

[Post edited to remove inappropriate or personal content -Acer-Manny]

• TarOkie
    TarOkie Member Posts: 2 New User
    Can someone show a photo of the sata cable?  Also do I need a hard drive bracket or is the aluminum plate with the 4 screws the item that holds it in place?

• safetyrob
    safetyrob Member Posts: 3 New User

Will the SK hynix Gold S31 1TB 3D NAND 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD work as a secondary HDD in the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54?  Where can I get a SATA cable for this secondary drive?
  • laurent_14
    safetyrob said:

Will the SK hynix Gold S31 1TB 3D NAND 2.5 inch SATA III Internal SSD work as a secondary HDD in the Acer Nitro 5 AN515-54?  Where can I get a SATA cable for this secondary drive?
    Hello,
    Yes, it will work. The HDD capacities tested by Acer are up to 2 GB in this connector. FYI , you can also add a second M.2 SSD with a SATA or PCIe interface. You can get a HDD kit by contacting your Acer support.
    France
  • safetyrob
    Is there any place else to purchase the cable?  Support cannot be contacted
  • nitro5gammer
    The cable is hard to find online but I would check eBay. I got mine from an old nitro 5 that was being scrapped away for free. You can also try calling a laptop recycler and asking if they have any nitro 5's that you can have.
  • nitro5gammer
    I searched amazon and found the cable. to install it you have to take the bottom cover off and disconnect the charge port from the motherboard because the SATA header is directly underneath it.
    https://www.amazon.com/Zahara-Connector-Replacement-Predator-DC02002UI00/dp/B07TXJB35J/ref=psdc_6795229011_t3_B07TVDF164 
  • batmalin
    batmalin Member Posts: 4,231 Guru
    Please click "Yes" if I have answered your question.
    Userbench: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/31177158

• laurent_14
    safetyrob said:
    Is there any place else to purchase the cable?  Support cannot be contacted
    You can also contact the regional Acer parts partners.
    France
  • safetyrob
    Thanks  I thought it had to be OEM.  Thanks all for your help
  • Shivers
    Shivers Member Posts: 1 New User
    @Acer-Manny
    Did you manage to assist the others experiencing this issue? 

Im trying to add a HDD to my machine and encountered the same issue - of there being no HDD cable...
    Can you assist or advise how to resolve this ?

Thanks
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Shivers said:
    @Acer-Manny
    Did you manage to assist the others experiencing this issue? 

Im trying to add a HDD to my machine and encountered the same issue - of there being no HDD cable...
    Can you assist or advise how to resolve this ?

Thanks
    You'd be better off creating a new post than reviving a year old post.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045