POST freezes at Please Wait... with USB thumbdrive inserted, cannot boot from key, nor enter BIOS

Guyton
Guyton Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Need help, cannot boot from USB thumbdrive, computer is a Veriton X6630G, currently at BIOS P21-A3.  Trying to update BIOS to P22-A3 but get error that the new BIOS isn't the same size.  It looks like P22-A3 will fix my issue, but I can't get it installed.  Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi all,

I am sorry that you're having issues with this process Guyton, please keep in mind that the Acer community is a peer to peer one (meaning Acer users help other Acer users voluntarily, theirs not a direct support from any Acer employees, some moderators as my self may interact with members when appropriate but this does not mean technical support assistance will be provided on this interactions) and not a direct channel to customer support or technical assistance and in your case, it looks like it should be with our Premier Team as you mentioned its for a School Board with over 800 units.

Are these recently purchased units? Is this the first time trying to update the BIOS and re-image these Acer units?

Please reply to my PM with the requested information to better assist you.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny

Answers

• This model has different motherboard revisions and that is why you can not upgrade from p21.a3 firmware to p22.a3! What would be your problem?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Guyton

Tinkerer

I figured it wasn't the right BIOS file, but there probably should be one for my mobo since there's an issue.  It will not boot from my 32GB Kingston thumb drive, but will boot from a 16GB Lexus thumb drive.  My next step will be getting out other 32GB drives to see if they will work.  There's nothing wrong with the 32GB Kingston, other machines we have boot fine from it.  Ice checked BIOS settings and tried a reset to defaults to no avail.  Is anyone in here from Acer willing to help out?  We have over 800 of these computers...
  • What would be the problem exactly? Do you want to reinstall windows using the pendrive?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Guyton

Tinkerer

Yes, we re-image all of our computers in the summer, I work for a school board.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019
    What operating system do you intend to install? Do you plan to install them in uefi or legacy mode?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Guyton

Tinkerer

Windows 10, doesn't matter uefi or legacy, the thing won't read this usb key.  I'm going to try other branded drives since I don't see Acer fixing this...
  • Note that legacy mode and uefi are configured differently! In legacy mode, you can use an iso that contains the x86 and x64 versions of windows and the pendrive must be converted to mbr and formatted in fat32! In uefi mode, you should use an iso only x64, converting the usb stick or stick to gpt and formatting it to fat32!
    Now, in uefi mode, you should disable launch csm and secureboot by creating a password in the set supervisor password! I think you're doing some wrong setup on bios! Now, why do you really need to use a 32gb usb stick?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Guyton

Tinkerer

I've tried legacy and uefi mode.  Why a 32Gb stick?  It's an install with Microsoft SCCM, it has an image of Win10 along with software to install.  The same key will boot in all our other computers such as X4640G, X4650G.
  • Are you using all of the thumberdriver usb space? Have you tried shrinking the usb thumberdriver partition size to verify that it boots to x6630g?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Guyton

Tinkerer

Here's another fun tidbit that maybe Acer should look into.  We have some machines that have VX6630G_E2 and some that have VX6630G_Ec written on the bottom barcode sticker.  the ones with E2 work fine, the ones with Ec don't...  I hope someone at Acer is reading this.
  • What is the uefi firmware version of the VX6630G_E2 model that is installed and which version is installed on the VX6630G_EC model?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Guyton

Tinkerer

They are both at P21-A3
  • What is the exact model of both models? Example VX6630G-SI545X
    Also, have you tried disabling the legacy usb support function in uefi?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Guyton

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    One that works fine: VX6630G-60029
    One that doesn't: VX6630G-60020

And yes, I've tried numerous things in the BIOS.  A collegue of mine found that setting the SATA mode to AHCI from RAID worked, another thing he tried that seemed to work was to boot from a previous version of our USB bootable sticks, doing a diskpart, clean on the HDD, then it seems to boot from the new 32GB Kingston key.  I have yet to try it out myself though...
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Hi all,

I am sorry that you're having issues with this process Guyton, please keep in mind that the Acer community is a peer to peer one (meaning Acer users help other Acer users voluntarily, theirs not a direct support from any Acer employees, some moderators as my self may interact with members when appropriate but this does not mean technical support assistance will be provided on this interactions) and not a direct channel to customer support or technical assistance and in your case, it looks like it should be with our Premier Team as you mentioned its for a School Board with over 800 units.

Are these recently purchased units? Is this the first time trying to update the BIOS and re-image these Acer units?

Please reply to my PM with the requested information to better assist you.

Thanks in advance,
    Acer-Manny