Nitro AN-515-53-55G9 goes black randomly.

Options
sthays10
sthays10 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Last November, I bought this Nitro off the Acer refurbished ebay store.  It worked fine for a couple months, but I didn't really stress test it much because of the busy time of year.  Once I started using it more, mainly to watch movies, I noticed it would start turning off randomly.  But it wouldn't turn all the way off.  When it turns off, the keyboard backlight is still on and the screen goes black but the backlight on the screen is still turned on.  I have to push the power button for 10 seconds to get it to completely shut off, then I can restart it. 

It almost always happens when it's plugged in - I thought it may be a heat issue, but I've got it on a cooling pad and it doesn't seem to affect it.  Whenever it goes black, even putting my hand by the fan doesn't feel any warmer than normal.

Of course I noticed this issue sometime in march, after the 3 month warranty on the refurbs had expired.  

I've searched the forums and internet, but haven't really seen another issue like this where it just goes black instead of turning all the way off.

Any help is appreciated!

Steve

Answers

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Check your power settings, it sounds like it's sleeping or hibernating

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,749 Pathfinder
    Options
    @sthays10
    Try doing power drain and check
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • sthays10

Tinkerer

edited July 2019
    Options
    andylb said:
    Check your power settings, it sounds like it's sleeping or hibernating
    Definitely not.  It's fully charged, and I'm actively typing on it.  Sleep and hibernate have been disabled.  The screen goes black but the keyboard backlight stays red.
  • sthays10

Tinkerer

Options
    Jack22 said:
    @sthays10
    Try doing power drain and check
    power drain: Just check the back of the unit, you can find a pin hole , unplug the charger and turn off the unit. now put a paper clip in the small pin hole and press and hold it for 30 sec.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    No change.  last night it seemed to be working - I had the computer on the charger and watched a movie using VLC with no problem for 2 hours.  Tonight, I was reading a web page and it went black. 

Someone on a different forum recommended updating bios.   I'm not sure how to do this.  Would this help my situation?
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    Options
    Your BIOS should always be updated it 9ften addresses performance issues and system glitches, you should have V 1.26 installed, go here and navigate to the BIOS section, download to your desktop and double click to open it and install. All BIOS updates carry a warning but they are needed
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7571?b=1

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★