How to remove the stand on an ED246Y?

sporsu
sporsu Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 16 in 2019 Archives
I purchased an ED246Y display (ED6 series, part no. UM QEE6EE.001) as it was listed as supporting VESA mounting on Acer's web page. It does have the required mounting screw holes on the back, but it also comes preattached with the vertical stand that the circular base screws to. This stand prevents attaching the monitor to my VESA mount, and none of the guides and manuals that came with the display or that I've found on Acer's web pages have any information on how it can be removed. There are no release buttons, levers or screws visible on or near the stand, and while the stand has a hinge and can be tilted about 20 degrees, I'm hesitant to apply force on it unless I know that's the proper way to detach it. Can anyone give me a hint on how to remove it, or do I have to dismantle the monitor casing to get it off?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    there's a plastic cover on the back of your display, you must take it off and then unscrew 4 screws.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    there's a plastic cover on the back of your display, you must take it off and then unscrew 4 screws.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • sporsu
    sporsu Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you! The plastic cover does pop right off, and the stand comes loose after removing the two screws shown. In my case the screw on the right side was so tight and made of such soft metal that attempting to unscrew it just stripped its head; I had to dremel a deeper slot into it to get it to come out. Fortunately the screen wasn't damaged in the process.

The separate power brick makes the unit a little troublesome to mount on an arm as opposed to one with an internal PSU, so while this one does work, you might want to go for another model if you're looking to mount it on something other than the included base. In any case, adding mounting information in the guide or manual and/or adding arrow marks or the like near the removable plastic cover would help in figuring out the necessary steps.