trying to find info on a Memory upgrade for my Acer CB3-532

Options
Slydr305
Slydr305 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
does anyone know what to if any SSD upgrades for the Acer CB3-532 chromebook?

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,116 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019
    Options
    Hi,
    You can not upgrade the storage in this model but you can use a 128GB SD card for additional storage.
  • myBBB
    myBBB Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    You can not upgrade the storage in this model but you can use a 128GB SD card for additional storage.
    Well, that's 200 bucks down the drain, only 2 Gig storage for store apps. I ran out of room with only 8 apps installed. So, the question is, and I'm sure the answer is not good. Once this additional storage is installed, will it allow me to install more apps?
  • AliceJ
    AliceJ Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hi,
    The internal m.2 is NOT soldered to the board. The factor m.2 is a 2240 size factor with prioritory snap off connectors. The cables connected to the m.2 via those prioritory connectors are black & white which suggests these connections serve as additional ground. The space in the board has clearlence for the current standard m.2 size factor 2280.

There are two factors here:
    1. The motherboards support for m.2 size formats. It may only support 2240.
    2. The connectors may be tied to so a circuit which tells the board the SSD is present which case the m.2 likely cannot be replaced without bridging those connector's circuit.
    @brummyfan2, the blanket "no, the upgrade cannot be performed cause I said so" does not provide actual reason to why because from what I have seen looking inside it does look very upgradeable (keeping in mind it might not be a matter of simply replacing the m.2 due to said prioritory snap off connectors.)
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,740 Trailblazer
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Actually, that M.2 is a WiFi only slot, not suitable for a SSD. The black and white wires are antenna leads for WiFi and Bluetooth.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.