Want to upgrade Acer ASPIRE M1610 with new Video & Network cards; currently 4 GB RAM and Windows 8.1

Options
amukerji
amukerji Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Want to upgrade Acer ASPIRE M1610 with new Video & Network cards; currently 4 GB RAM and Windows 8.1

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good Morning amukerji !

What model EXACT?
    Example: M1610-UD2180

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• amukerji
    amukerji Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    1. Could not find a Model Number!
    2. ACER M1610 - PT.SA00X.065 / TZ SH09 S01 / P058035588/00002.
    3. Processor Pentium Dual CPU E2140@1.60GHz, 2 Cores, BIOS Phoenix LTD R01-A4, 20/09/2007, Silicon Integrated SiS VGA Utilities Version 5.25v.
    4. Have upgraded memory in Feb 2015 to 4 GB (3 GB usable); upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 8.1.  32-bit Operating System X64-based processor.
    5. Working reasonably OK; I find Windows 8.1 quite user-friendly compared to Windows 10.
    6. Have latest Norton anti-virus.
    7. Just want to upgrade, if possible, with compatible Video Card, and a new Network Card.
    8. Desktop is working fine otherwise.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    one thing to watch for when upgrading GPU cards on this old of a machine is memory size for the GPU. Many older machines balk if you try to put more than 2GB on the GPU, so stay away from the latest designs that have much more memory onboard. I don't know if your model is specifically one of those that will have that problem, but it's certainly old enough!
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    amukerji disse:
    1. Could not find a Model Number!
    2. ACER M1610 - PT.SA00X.065 / TZ SH09 S01 / P058035588/00002.
    3. Processor Pentium Dual CPU E2140@1.60GHz, 2 Cores, BIOS Phoenix LTD R01-A4, 20/09/2007, Silicon Integrated SiS VGA Utilities Version 5.25v.
    4. Have upgraded memory in Feb 2015 to 4 GB (3 GB usable); upgraded from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 8.1.  32-bit Operating System X64-based processor.
    5. Working reasonably OK; I find Windows 8.1 quite user-friendly compared to Windows 10.
    6. Have latest Norton anti-virus.
    7. Just want to upgrade, if possible, with compatible Video Card, and a new Network Card.
    8. Desktop is working fine otherwise.

Good afternoon !

His model is quite old.
    For this reason it is not on the Acer dash.
    Anyway, I found the exact template on snlookup for the information you submitted.
    Check: https://snlookup.com/acer-aspire-m1610-desktop-pt-sa00x-065-p80726#ffs-tabbed-16

Your processor has very basic performance and will likely be a "bottleneck" for a dedicated GPU.

In this system, in order for some upgrade to be felt in order to improve final performance, you would need to do the following:

1- Exchange the E2140 with an E5400
    2- Exchange your PSU for one of at least 400W reais
    3- A dedicated PCIe 16x GPU, such as a GTX 8800

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!