New M.2 NVMe SSD for Acer Predator G9-793

Options
ZiddyNZ
ZiddyNZ Member Posts: 3 New User
edited September 2019 in Predator Laptops
Hello,

I recently bought a new M.2 NVMe SSD for my Acer Predator G9-793.
When I bought the Laptop it shipped with a Micron M.2 SATA SSD which is currently used as the boot drive.
I wanted to install a new M.2 SSD for gaming as the 2TB (HardDisk) storage drive is a bit to slow.
I bought a new Western Digital (WD Blue SN500 NVMe) M.2 drive to use. Sadly though it doesn't seem compatible.
I am aware that the G9-793 has 2 M.2 slots and only 1 supports NVMe (Bottom Slot closest to the Motherboard). I can still boot into Windows but Windows doesn't detect the new M.2 drive.
It shows up correctly in HDD0 slot in the BIOS, but nothing in the Windows Disk Management or Device Manager. (Diskpart /Listdisk shows nothing etc..)
I am wanting some more technical specifications about my G9-793 Laptop but they are very hard to find through normal search engines, and even Acers website has very little information.
Can anyone please let me know the technical specs of the G9-793 M.2 slots so I can confirm that the drive I bought either is or isn't compatible?
(Note: I put the new WD M.2 SSD in my PC, which has an Asus Z370-A Motherboard, and it allows the Windows OS to see it without issue. This was to test that the drive wasn't faulty)

Thanks in advance.
Cheers
-Ziddy

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Hello! This usually happens when ssd is not converted to gpt! If ssd is correctly recognized in the info section of uefi, open the power shell as administrator and enter these commands, always giving enter in each:
    diskpart
    list disk
    sel disk x (x is the ssd number to convert)
    clean
    convert gpt
    create partition primary
    format fs = ntfs quick
      assign
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ZiddyNZ
    Options
    Hello,

Thanks for the reply, however I did mention in the first post that the OS does not see the Drive, so Disk Part cannot help me.

Cheers
    Ziddy
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Even if windows does not detect the driver, it does not mean that diskpart will not see it! Do the command I said and make sure ssd appears on diskpart! Make sure ssd also appears on IRST!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    can you send a photo of the information and boot section in uefi, diskpart and irst firmware?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    Options
    You can also try to format/convert the ssd in another device or even with a external usb nvme adapter/enclosure i have a wdblue 3d nand 2tb (not nvme) m.2 sata and it works great i wouldnt spend my money on nvme if you dont need it for the price of 1tb nvme i got 2tb sata nvme is only needed if you are doing rendering works if you are just gaming sata is more than enough and i have 90% of my games running from my external 5tb 2.5 hdd in a 10gbps usb3.0/usb-c enclosure and all run fine on usb 3.0 which amazingly its faster than my usb-c port :p until today the only game i had to move to the ssd was MHW all other games are running on the external hdd Anthem included and i play just fine all on ultra so again yeah only invest on nvme if you really need it or it will be a waste of money

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ZiddyNZ
    Options
    Hi all,

Sorry for the very late reply here, but I had figured out what the issue was and forgot to update this thread.
    The reason in my very first post I asked for the specifications of the laptop (focusing on the M.2 ports) was because I wasn't convinced that the laptop could support the drive I had bought at all.
    The M.2 NVMe drive works perfectly fine in my PC so there is no issue with it.
    I then went and bought just a normal M.2 Sata drive to use in the laptop, and that works.
    I believe the reason for the NVMe drive failing to be seen by the BIOS / OS is because the laptop doesn't have enough pci-e lanes available, or something around the amount of bandwidth it needs to support the NVMe drive.
    I have sort of proved this by just using a Sata drive and the fact that the NVMe drive works fine in other devices.

I just really wish it was much easier to find the proper technical specifications of the laptop and not what Acer calls the 'Tech Specs' which isn't even close.

Thanks to all who commented trying to help.

Cheers
    -Ziddy
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you verified that ssd nvme is recognized in the g9-793 information guide? Some versions of this model come with a second ssd m2 sata slot. However, they all come with an nvme slot, see:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• xapim
    edited September 2019
    Options
    ZiddyNZ As @egydiocoelho posted above your laptop has 1 nvme slot and when the nvme its not recognized by the bios that means it will not work in that slot most common reason its because that slot its sata only try to swap it into the other one some of the predator models only have 1 nvme and 1 sata slot the m.2 sata drives are reversed engineered to be supported by the sata or nvme slots they work fine on both but the nvme will not work on a sata slot so will never be recognized by the bios (im guessing by this time you already tried the drive on both slots anyway :) ) if the drive wont get recognized on any of the slots i would try to find out if is there a firmware update for that drive in particular if so update it and try again but if theres nothing available if afraid the drive itself might be incompatible you could also try to get/borrow if possible from someone another nvme m.2 drive to test your slots to rule out any kind of faulty hardware.

Hope any of this helps in any way :)

If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Acer support:

• TowermanT
    TowermanT Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I have the same model and am currently using (new) Crucial 1TB NVMe in slot closest to motherboard with no issues, and since day one when purchased November 2016 had been using Intel 500GB NVMe in same said slot. might be that particular SSD you purchased is not compatible with this laptop
  • GeNeSiS_777
    GeNeSiS_777 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Options
    Is the Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB compatible with the Predator G9-793? I'm planning to get one this week.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @GeNeSiS_777 Does your model have two m2 2280 doors?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GeNeSiS_777
    Options
    egydiocoelho,

My Predator G9-793 currently have two LITE-ON 128GB (CV1-8B128) installed in RAID0 mode. Here are the G9-793 specs I found online:

Solid State Drive
    • Storage 1: M.2 2280 SATA Gen3x2 or PCIe x4 Gen3 for SSD
    • Storage 2: Optional : M.2 2280 *1 (SATA Express) for SSD
    • Storage 3: HDD : 9.5/7.2/7mm co-lay
    • 128GB/256GB/512GB SSD
    I just want to know if I can replace these LITE-ON drives with just one 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    This model has a m2 2280 port that supports sata 3 and nvme:

The other port supports only sata 3:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GeNeSiS_777
    Options
    egydiocoelho,

So I can ONLY install one 2TB 970 EVO Plus NVMe SSD, and the drive must be installed on the slot that supports NVMe, which is the one close to the motherboard.

By the way, where can I get a copy of that G9-973 pdf file?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yes, you can install the 970 evo. This file is not available to the public.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GeNeSiS_777
    Options
    egydiocoelho,

That's okay. Thank you so much for confirming that the 970 EVO Plus is compatible with my Predator G9-793. I'm still waiting for it to arrive.

Next, sector-by-sector cloning with Macrium.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Before installing the ssd, disconnect the lition battery:

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• GeNeSiS_777
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! I'll definitely include this to the instruction guide I'm making. The 970 EVO Plus hasn't arrived yet, but I already got the enclosure and heatsink.
    I can't wait to do this project.
  • Saeid
    Saeid Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @GeNeSiS_777 @egydiocoelho Hello dears. Can you please provide more details and pictures about the enclosure and heatsink? Is it necessary to have a heatsink?
  • xapim
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Saeid you cannot fit a ssd heatsink on gaming laptops theres no space for it will be too thick unless on very expensive (fully sort of) upgradeable/personalized laptops some might have space for it but not any OEM laptops :)

Acer support: