Issue with the T key on my CB3-531 Chromebook

Artezen
Artezen Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am currently typing this on an external keyboard.
Starting yesterday at about 12am CST, my T key on my Acer CB3-531 started acting rather strange, in that it would cause my page to refresh. Now I've removed the key to look at it, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I have already powerwashed the chromebook and this did not fix my issue. As somebody who frequently uses Discord to talk to others, this is rather frustrating as you can probably tell. I am very gentle with my products and I know this wasn't caused by dust or anything of the like. If needed, I have taken a video of what the key does with my phone and can post it to here. Please help.

Answers

• Artezen
    Artezen said:
    I am currently typing this on an external keyboard.
    Starting yesterday at about 12am CST, my T key on my Acer CB3-531 started acting rather strange, in that it would cause my page to refresh. Now I've removed the key to look at it, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. I have already powerwashed the chromebook and this did not fix my issue. As somebody who frequently uses Discord to talk to others, this is rather frustrating as you can probably tell. I am very gentle with my products and I know this wasn't caused by dust or anything of the like. If needed, I have taken a video of what the key does with my phone and can post it to here. Please help.
    To add on (sorry couldn't find a way to edit my current post) after waking up to see if maybe the problem fixed it self, I have found that my g key now causes full screen (the key right next to refresh on the top line of buttons) and my R/F key cause the buttons right next to them (e and d) to type before them. I think my keyboard is officially bugged. Is there any way to fix this? Please, please help. This is my only laptop and I'm not financially secure enough to replace it.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer
    Sure is sounding like a hardware issue with the keyboard, something is causing enough flex to get the double key thing. Are you still in warranty? If so let's get you together with Acer support and get it fixed. Better to live without it for a week or so then have it progressively worse.

If you are out of warranty let's dig deeper into diagnosis...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Artezen
    I'm unfortunately out of warranty on it now, I've had it for about four years and the warranty only covered two.
    Just to state the bases I've already covered so we don't run in circles:
    - I've checked the keyboard settings to make sure it wasn't set to something weird
    - I've removed all keys associated with the issue and none of them are dusty or gummy
    - I've noted nothing has changed since the last time I've posted
    - Using an external keyboard does not cause the same issue
    - I have already power washed the machine and nothing has changed from before the power wash when the issue had started.

Thanks for coming to my rescue!
  • billsey
    Is there any indication of something pushing up on that portion of the keyboard from the inside? Might be the battery is nearing EOL and they usually start bulging before they fail fully.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Artezen
    After looking at your comment, I decided to once again remove the keys and take a closer look. I can tell now that there is metal warping under the keys. I am assuming this might be due to that bulging? If not, I'm assuming this means my keyboard is thoroughly messed up and I will have to stick to using an external until I can replace the laptop. Thanks.
  • billsey
    Either is a possibility, you'd have to do a disassemble far enough to get the battery out before deciding whether the battery, the keyboard, or something else is the problem. I'd bet in the battery doing a bulge things as the most likely, it's tough to physically damage the keyboard itself. Lots of little screws to pull in order to get inside!