Computer will not sleep when Lid is closed(Aspire a315-41)

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Yes, if you installed the Microsoft generic version of Win10 on the HDD, the hidden recovery partition with the ACER flavored version of Win10 is probably gone. From your description, I very much doubt it's due to a hardware issue because MS generic and ACER specific versions of Win10 are not the same and hardware drivers can respond differently to each version. So at this point, I would arrange for warranty service to return your operating system and device drivers to a factory-fresh condition. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    John299 Member Posts: 28 Troubleshooter
    edited July 2019
    well I had this issue prior to doing so.
    all I simply did was have a m.2 hard drive installed and did a clone.
    I don't understand why the stupid thing won't sleep when I close the lid.
    I have a feeling this will not be covered under warranty. You say you doubt it's a hardware issue, but I had this problem even when it was factory. Everything else works fine.

• JackE
    >>>I had this problem even when it was factory. >>>

Then you should arrange for a warranty repair. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    I've been trying to but I can't ]find support for Canadian customers.
    Keeps asking for City/State, But I need City/Province/Postal code, Not City/state/ZIp code.
  • JackE

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    thank you, now I just have to decide if it's worth repairing.
    especially if I have to pay shipping 

• JackE
    You might want to try turning off the ControlPanel faststart/fastboot option again before making your decision. If it was mine and it still didn't sleep with slow boot, it is more of an annoyance that really doesn't rise to the level of a crippling issue as long as the screen (the biggest power drain) turns off with the lid closed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    the issue here is when I close the lid the computer doesn't sleep and the screen actually stays on. I am now also noticing for some reason Acer quick access blue light shield isn't working.

I also noticed that after I had done a clean reinstall of windows 10 home that this is still present but not accessible?

would this not contain factory backup?
  • JackE
    Remove the m.2. Boot from the original HDD. If still no joy, an erase-everything ALT+F10 factory reset from the HDD's hidden recovery partition is the best way to rule in or rule out a hardward issue. If you arrange for a warranty repair, this is likely the first thing that'll be tried to resolve the issue anyway. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    It seems that your lid closed sensor isn't working. The lid closed sensor is a Hall Effect board that connects to the motherboard with a small ribbon cable. Yours might be disconnected or it might have failed.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    Yeah, that too. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    I won't void the warranty checking to see if this somehow disconnected?
    I mean I did install the m.2 drive, and it was smooth as butter without issue, and they said it was fine to do so long as I didn't damage anything. All I did was remove several screws to pop off the cover, disconnect the battery, put in the drive, reconnect battery, etc.
    All with anti-static measures taken.
  • JackE
    If you can pop off the base cover without breaking any obvious tamper seals or anything else, it should be OK to check out . billsey's suggestion. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    ok, they use pretty cheap screws that strip easily so hoping I do not ever gotta pop that off again, but I did notice that hall sensor cable was loose, put it back in, problem solved, all works good now. i'ma guess the bluelight shield is a software issue
  • JackE
    Great! Check billsey 's answer as the solution. Screws are meant to cheap. You can get a lifetime-and-then-some worth of cheap laptop screws of all sizes on Amazon for less than $10 with free shipping. Search laptop screw kit. Or you can use color-coordinated duct tape from HomeDepot or Lowe's to hold things together.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• John299
    JackE said:
    Great! Check billsey 's answer as the solution. Screws are meant to cheap. You can get a lifetime-and-then-some worth of cheap laptop screws of all sizes on Amazon for less than $10 with free shipping. Search laptop screw kit. Or you can use color-coordinated duct tape from HomeDepot or Lowe's to hold things together.  :)   Jack E/NJ

lol thanks. i'ma leave it alone tho now, want to keep that warranty valid.

• JackE
    Try to re-seating the KB's flexible circuit board connector a few times.  Unfortunately, the power button control is integral with the KB. So if re-seating it doesn't work, I'd probably try a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot reset to rule in or rule out a hardware issue. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    edited August 2019
    >>>faster way remove all residual charge>>>
    Remove charger and both batteries again. Short jumper under RAM modules.

>>> removed the [KB] ribbon while it was booting and it went straight to windows>>>
    Not good. The only KB assembly part number I can find for the A315-41 model is AP28Z000300 or 6B.GY9N2.001
    for the US international version. Aliexpress has the KB itself but it'd be a lot of work trying to replace it in the whole top assembly and palmrest.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Yep. With the coin cell removed, you can also short its two mainboard terminals for good measure.  :)   Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    No. The terminals that you removed the coin cell wires from. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ