Fix for blacked out screen with keyboard lit up

Options
RyderJ
RyderJ Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have just purchased a predator laptop (Ultra Thin Trition 500), and within the first week of using it my screen started to black out (see screen shot) (Sorry for bad quality as well lol). Currently, it only happens when i play Counter Strike: Global Offensive, and Rainbow Six Siege. It's not going to sleep or anything like that, i have to hard boot it and restart the computer. I have already contacted the Acer Support, yet their answers do not seem to fix my problem.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

Answers

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited June 2019
    Options
    On which version of windows are you, the latest build seems to be causing issues to everyone by removing the dedicated gpu automatically and not detecting it anymore until force shutdown its MS at their best as always they release everything bugged to the users and expect them to report the issues for them to fix it after as they are lazy to search it to get it fix before the releases this is not a manufacturer issue its windows 10 bugged by the latest updates if thats your case im still on 1809 but with the first updates when it was launched i disables the updates permanently for ms not screw anything up and never had any issues more that one year ago

But if this is not your case it might be something with the games themselves check if you have the same issue in all other games or just these 2 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• RyderJ
    RyderJ Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options
    So far it’s just been these two games. However, the audio still goes through on my headphones and I can still speak to friends on discord calls all the while the screen is blacked out. Although, eventually the audio cuts out and I am forced to shutdown my computer. I am fairly sure that the games actually close when this happens because my friends see me get off of the game. I honestly have no idea what causes this (the issue happens randomly on the games) and there is no way I can replicate it. 
  • OGMike
    OGMike Member Posts: 123 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    im having the same issue, playing a game and all of a sudden, black screen, laptop becomes unresponsive and have to force restart it, i thought it may have been my portable SSD causing it, but without it being plugged in it did it again. I tried reverting to an older version of windows 10 but my system ran into an error and was unable to do so, just did a system restore, but doubt that will even fix my issue. I dont think it is hardware, ive ran UserBenchmars on it and it performed extremely well. so it has to be a software issue?
  • OGMike
    edited June 2019
    Options

also how could i fix this? (This is not the laptop that is having the issues, its an older Helios 300, the g3-572 model)
    Updating my laptop that continues to crash to Windows version 1903 to see if that helps (laptop model is PH315-51)
  • Krandor
    Krandor Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

edited June 2019
    Options
    I've experienced this same issue a few times in a handful of games (FF XV, Grim Dawn, Witcher 3, Vampyr), and digging thru things like Event Viewer or monitoring hardware temperatures didn't provide any clues. I reformatted the OS drive and reinstalled Windows to eliminate the possibility of it being a faulty driver or something, and I haven't experienced the issue for 5 days now. But it was fairly erratic up until that point anyways, maybe happening once every 3 or 4 days, so I'm not actually sure if the issue has been resolved. I had the laptop for about a month and had 1903 installed for a couple weeks before the issue cropped up fwiw

If you dig around on these forums you'll see a handful of threads about it, so it's likely some kind of fault with the model as a whole, either something with the hardware or the default software configuration.
  • OGMike
    Options
    I’m pretty sure it has to die with software, even non Helios users have this issue who is running windows 10, I ended up doing a system restore, updating windows to 1903 and manually installing graphics drivers, updated all out of date intel drivers with their driver update software, and unplugged some devices from the laptop to see if it’s due to pulling to much power for the charger to handle, so far no black screen crashes, but this is my first day testing, but usually it happens everyday I play on this laptop (ph315-51)
  • Paankhand
    Paankhand Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    My laptop acer predator 300 suddenly blackout instantly and i cant turn it back on even i plugged the charger the light dont lit at all