Update OS on Acer Iconia A200 ?

Options
kathyd
kathyd Member Posts: 1 New User

i have an old Acer Iconia A200 that works great but is on Android Version 4.0.3 - ice cream.

I cannot access https sites - get the message that "a secure connection could not be established."

I am connecting on other sites just fine...

Answers

• Sharanji
    Sharanji ACE Posts: 4,327 Pathfinder
    Options
    kathyd 
    There is no official upgrade beyond Android 4.0.3 for this device. There is a minor firmware update for that version that patches a security hole, but it doesn't upgrade Android.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!
  • arshadnizami
    arshadnizami Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    i want acer 200 firmware
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    There have been no updates beyond 4.03 and there will be no more updates at all now.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ProphetPX
    ProphetPX Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    this is very sad and disappointing that Acer has basically ABANDONED THEIR OWN PRODUCT and THEIR OWN USER BASE! :(

i have this exact same problem and you are all telling me that there is basically nothing i can do about it :angry: 

• billsey
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Uh... The A200 was released in January 2012, it's nearly eight years old now. Why would you expect them to provide support after than much time has elapsed? It still works fine, it just isn't able to be updated past where they left it several years ago...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Rzero79
    Rzero79 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    billsey said:
    Uh... The A200 was released in January 2012, it's nearly eight years old now. Why would you expect them to provide support after than much time has elapsed? It still works fine, it just isn't able to be updated past where they left it several years ago...

Uh... Nobody expects eight, or now ten, years worth of active updates and support, but Acer provided ZERO years worth of support, smart guy. Upgrading to a version of Android released even a few years later would increase compatibility immensely. This version of Android won't work with almost anything from the Play Store (Most I've encountered so far require Android 5 or above.) The pre-intalled browser is practically useless, and you can't even install Chrome, for God's sake. My old Samsung Galaxy S III (released four months after the Iconia A200, by the way) that I gave to my kid to play games on is currently running 4.4.2, and works with a ton more apps. My secondary laptop, an Asus released in 2009(!) runs Windows 10 and does anything I want it to (if slowly,) so obviously Microsoft devices don't have this problem whatsoever. It's far from ridiculous to expect better support than what was given by Acer for this product (i.e. none.) So maybe try to be a little less condescending next time someone has a legitimate complaint.
  • billsey
    Options
    The A200 models came with Honeycomb and were upgraded about a year later to Ice Cream Sandwich... Same with the A500.