Predator Sense problem with G9-793

Phoenix1966
Phoenix1966 Member Posts: 71 Devotee WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I know...another Predator sense problem. I've gone through several pages via the forum search function, but cannot find an answer.

I have a Predator 17 G9-793 (no other letters) i7-6700. Today I noticed when Predator Sense was open that it was not showing any value for the CPU frequency (today was the first day I noticed this, but it may not be the first day it happened). I tried a restart, etc. but nothing. So I decided to reinstall the program from the Acer support page for this model. It was apparently an upgrade (1.00.3012) from what I had. Well, now my predator sense looks like this

when it used to look like this

I tried uninstalling the upgraded version and installing 1.00.3008, but it did not restore the lost functionality (turbo, faster, normal, etc.). Any help restoring it to its former version/functions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Best Answer

• Phoenix1966
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    Okay, I've managed to get this working again. Someone else had the identical problem with their G9-593 in this thread and it was a registry entry located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\OEM\PredatorSense on mine that needed Model_Name_1st to be changed from g9-793 to Predator G9-793. That restored the functionality to Predator Sense.

@brummyfan2, thank you for all your help today. Also, as you suggested, version 1.00.3012 restored a value for the CPU frequency.

Answers

• brummyfan2
    brummyfan2 ACE Posts: 28,433 Trailblazer
    edited June 2019
    Hi,
    When I checked my Predator sense, I had the same issue, I have resolved it by installing version 1.00.3012.
    Use Revouninstaller to uninstall the current version, reboot and install this version, I think rebooting after uninstalling and installation of newer version helps.
    https://www.revouninstaller.com/downloads/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0txEObIh_c

• Phoenix1966
    brummyfan2, I used the free version of the tool you recommended, uninstalled Sense, rebooted, installed 1.00.3012, rebooted and it still looks like the first image I posted.

Any other suggestions from anyone? (and I did try a Windows restore from any earlier date before I tried anything else, but Windows failed to restore the laptop).
  • Phoenix1966
    It's like the Turbo, Fast and Normal .xtu files aren't being created.

I do have Throttlestop and MSI afterburner installed (I have had those for months with no issues re: Sense). Could those programs be interfering with Sense installation?
  • brummyfan2
    edited June 2019
    It's like the Turbo, Fast and Normal .xtu files aren't being created.

I do have Throttlestop and MSI afterburner installed (I have had those for months with no issues re: Sense). Could those programs be interfering with Sense installation?
    Hi,
    Yes, you could try uninstalling those programs temporarily and see whether it helps. Also try different Power plans.

• Phoenix1966
    edited June 2019
    @brummyfan2, Removing those programs made no difference. Sense is still installing like my first image and doing a file search on the C drive shows no Turbo, Normal or Fast .xtu files exist other than the ones in the plug folder of the install zip.

I have also been disabling my virus protection each time I tried a reinstall, too.
  • brummyfan2
    Hi,
    Go to file explorer and check the contents in extracted file and V 1.00.3012 folder, compare them with my snip.

• Phoenix1966
    I have the same. All I am doing is hitting the setup exe and letting it do its stuff.
  • brummyfan2
    I am stumped, unable to understand the reason for not installing it properly, you could try uninstall it completely with Revo Uninstaller, delete any leftover entries, reboot and right click PredatorSense Windows Installer and run it as Admin and see whether it fixes the problem. 

• Phoenix1966
    I could not right-click on that file and get a "run as admin" option, only an "install" which didn't work (told me to use the setup.exe). I did have the option to right-click and run that as admin, with the same results I've been getting.

I appreciate your time. Maybe someone else has some ideas. 
  • Phoenix1966
    edited June 2019 Answer ✓
    Okay, I've managed to get this working again. Someone else had the identical problem with their G9-593 in this thread and it was a registry entry located at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\OEM\PredatorSense on mine that needed Model_Name_1st to be changed from g9-793 to Predator G9-793. That restored the functionality to Predator Sense.

@brummyfan2, thank you for all your help today. Also, as you suggested, version 1.00.3012 restored a value for the CPU frequency.
  • brummyfan2

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting the solution that worked :)