Predator Helios 300 G3-571 randomly shuts down

ShiraB
ShiraB Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I can't use this laptop any more. It will shuts down randomly, without any warning. Usually when I'm in an Oculus VR app/game.

I updated the BIOS to the last version, checked everything with Acer Care Center all looks good, including the battery and HDDs. Please help me solve this. Thanks.

Answers

• ShiraB

Tinkerer

I was reading about this and looked at the event manager. There are critical errors (every random shutdown): Kernel Power 41.

I  saw some solutions like update all drivers and change the power settings. Didn't help.

It seems like the random shutdowns happen when there is an extensive and fast graphics - when action scenes suppose to start in games.
    I hoped NVIDIA driver will help, but updating the 1060 drivers didn't do a thing.

I will be very grateful for any help. Thank you!

• OGMike
    OGMike Member Posts: 123 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    ShiraB said:
    I was reading about this and looked at the event manager. There are critical errors (every random shutdown): Kernel Power 41.

I  saw some solutions like update all drivers and change the power settings. Didn't help.

It seems like the random shutdowns happen when there is an extensive and fast graphics - when action scenes suppose to start in games.
    I hoped NVIDIA driver will help, but updating the 1060 drivers didn't do a thing.

I will be very grateful for any help. Thank you!

So the Kernel Power is from having to force restart, im assuming that is what you are having to do, my PH315-51 does the same, but im still working on fixing it sadly.

• ShiraB

Tinkerer

Thanks but I don't force restart. The Predator just shut downs. And then I boot it.
  • Savoyer
    Savoyer Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

ShiraB said:
    Thanks but I don't force restart. The Predator just shut downs. And then I boot it.
    The same story, whenever I try to launch CS GO it just shutdowns randomly, most of the time I can play 5-10 minutes on dm, there was one instance when I could play for 1.5 hours but I dont know why it allowed to play for so long. I tried to reboot the battery using pin, updated drivers, bios, used the maximum fans speed, opened the back where many users suggested to adjust the switch with a tape but I dont have that one, removed and placed back rams, tried to adjust the power mode and NOTHING REALLY HELPED. 
  • OGMike
    I’m trying to solve this issue as well 
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

I tried Windows 10 Fresh Start. Didn't help. Don't know what else I can try. Bummer.
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

Update - it seems like it works better (ie no shutdowns for a long time) with battery... Strange. I canceled all sleeping under AC (switched to Never).

Still, didn't help :(
  • Savoyer
    Savoyer Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Tried integrated and nvidia graphics, no difference, still shuts down. Ha e you tried overclocking?
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

Savoyer said:
    Tried integrated and nvidia graphics, no difference, still shuts down. Ha e you tried overclocking?
    No. Never touched overclocking settings.
  • OGMike
    I don’t really recommend overclocking on that model, I tried on mine and it caused it to freeze, turned it off and it was fine. I haven’t had the shutdown issue on my g3-571, but my PH315-51 since I got it has been freezing, mostly with a black screen and sometimes a black screen with flickering lines. Do not know what the cause is.
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

In my case it just shuts down. Completely. Then I must boot it again - and need to press the on button 2-3 times before it restarts.

From all that I can gather, the problem happens during relatively heavy graphic sessions, with AC connected. I completely reinstall Windows and reinstalled everything. Didn't help. It strange, because it used to work fine with a fresh Windows (when I got it)
  • OGMike
    Try updating windows to 1903 and manually install drivers if you haven’t already, I did that last night and tested today and so far my laptop hasn’t had any issues
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

Thank you OGMike. Unfortunately that didn't help.. I updated to 1903, all drivers are updated. I also run GPU stress test and Memtest64 all is ok (it's a fresh windows 10), but as soon as something happens in Oculus VR, I get a shutdown :(
  • OGMike
    Yea, my test didn’t go well either, it seemed like mine was fixed but I left my laptop on over night to see if it would do it again, and sure enough it did
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

I don't know what else I can try. Will be grateful to any new idea. I used stress tests (HeavyLoad and FurMark) without a problem. The problem only occurs with AC (not with battery) when I play games (VR, steam etc.) I tried an identical AC brick, changed the advance power settings - same problem. It's not overheating. The laptop can be off for a day and then shutdown 5 minutes after I start a game. I never fiddled with overclocking.

What else can I try? Thanks!
  • OGMike
    @ShiraB try doing a windows 10 in place repair using microsofts media creation tool, you can get it on the microsoft website and all you do is run it, click upgrade windows 10 and it just repairs any files that are corrupted, i did it to mine, it did not fully solve it, but it surely seems to help.

• rgatuzov
    rgatuzov Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hey, I have the same issue on my predator g3-571... I'm really frustrated with this, because at first everything worked well and I used to play games for half a year and then in February it all started, and I still didn't find any solution... Have you found any so far? 
  • ShiraB

Tinkerer

rgatuzov said:
    Hey, I have the same issue on my predator g3-571... I'm really frustrated with this, because at first everything worked well and I used to play games for half a year and then in February it all started, and I still didn't find any solution... Have you found any so far? 
    Unfortunately no.