so i got a CB315-2H acer chromebook can i load apps or is this just a paperweight

jrsergy
jrsergy Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
loading apps

Answers

• patrickkelly
    patrickkelly Member Posts: 92 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Did you buy it without doing any research?
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/professional-series/acerchromebook315
    "Stay Productive

"With Chrome OS you can still use your favorite software3. Traditional office productivity programs like Microsoft Office and Skype have Chrome versions, as too do Facebook and Instagram. And if your favorite isn’t there you can download many more equivalent programs from Google Play™.

Or, was it given to you by your school or company? If so, the administrator might limit access to apps.
  • fargodwe
    fargodwe Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I  just received on as a gift.  I cannot let the people know who gave it to me that it so far is not meeting my needs.  They bought it for me by specifically asking if linux could be loaded to it.  All I want to do is run a stand-alone linux installation on a USB drive by booting my Chromebook from it.  I understand the security etc concerns - I am not a novice with linux.  So, with a CB315-2H how can I boot from a USB disk drive?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,860 Trailblazer
    @fargodwe you probably ought to have started a new thread since this one is fairly old and the original poster never marked it solved... But, try looking into Crouton as a possible solution. Unless you have issues with Ubuntu that is. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.