Predator 15 keyboard stops working, system can't shut down

LOLDUDE
LOLDUDE Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
My Predator 15 laptop (not sure which model specifically) has been having this rare, but troublesome issue lately. Sometimes, in the middle of a long period of playing a game, the keyboard stops functioning. Actually, every button on the laptop stops functioning, including the power button, so I can't just immediately reboot it. If I'm lucky and I can access the desktop from this state to shut the system down, the screen goes off, but some of the lights on the keyboard never shut off, and so it seems it never truly shuts down. I left it overnight the last time it happened and it still didn't shut down, so I had to press the manual shut down button on the bottom of the laptop like I usually do in order to turn it off and restart it. Some folks I've told about it said that it might be an issue with the system overheating, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any idea what the cause of this may be, and whether or not there's a solution?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Have you tried pressing & holding the power button for about 10 seconds to shut the machine off when the KB freezes? It might be due to overheating. Or it might be that the charger is the puny 2.5A or 45watt model? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LOLDUDE
    JackE said:
    Have you tried pressing & holding the power button for about 10 seconds to shut the machine off when the KB freezes? It might be due to overheating. Or it might be that the charger is the puny 2.5A or 45watt model? Jack E/NJ
    I've tried holding the button down for much longer than ten seconds, and the system still wouldn't shut down. It takes about that long to shut it down when holding both the power button and the manual shutoff button, though. I've been using the charger that came with the laptop, though, being an ADP-180MB K, which outputs at 9.23A, according to the label on it.
  • JackE
    What Predator15 model do you have? G9-5xx? When did you buy it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LOLDUDE
    JackE said:
    What Predator15 model do you have? G9-5xx? When did you buy it? Jack E/NJ
    It's a G9-591-70XR. I think I've had it for at least three years now, not too sure.
  • JackE
    >>>I had to press the manual shut down button on the bottom of the laptop like I usually do in order to turn it off and restart it. >>>

When you release the reset button, does it sometimes turn itself back on without having to press the power button? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ