Acer E5-573 - The outlet had a power surge/ PC will not charge

IsaacR
IsaacR Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,
While my Acer e5-573 laptop was plugged into an outlet, I heard a popping noise. I am unsure of the source(outlet or laptop) that the sound came from. After that happened, I turned on my laptop to see if it would still function, and it worked. Next, I checked to see if the battery was holding its' charge normally. It was. But, the charging light didn't come on, and the battery wouldn't charge. I then ventured to buy a new charger to see if that was the problem. The laptop still will not charge or turn on. Is there a fuse or some sort of voltage protector inside of this laptop? If so, where would I buy a replacement? If anyone can think of anything else it might be, I would very much appreciate it. Thank you for your time.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night IsaacR !

Do not.
    There is only the power interrupt button.

Check the power interruption button.

The interrupt button not being pressed correctly may generate this problem.

There is a power interrupt button:

httpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditoriscep5djl3gb9qpnghttpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditorj0gzmuu1ah80eqpnghttpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditor15ai55hn6hargxpng

If it is not pressed down or the case is misaligned, errors may occur.
    Check the same and use something like a layer of insulation tape to force and press this button correctly.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• IsaacR

Tinkerer

edited May 2019
    MaClane said:
    Good night IsaacR !

Do not.
    There is only the power interrupt button.

Check the power interruption button.

The interrupt button not being pressed correctly may generate this problem.

There is a power interrupt button:

httpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditoriscep5djl3gb9qpnghttpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditorj0gzmuu1ah80eqpnghttpsusv-cdnnet6029997uploadseditor15ai55hn6hargxpng

If it is not pressed down or the case is misaligned, errors may occur.
    Check the same and use something like a layer of insulation tape to force and press this button correctly.

Are you saying that a power surge could have caused this to happen? If not, I doubt that this happened, by coincidence, when the power surge occurred.
  • MaClane
    I'm not saying.
    I just informed you that on current devices the power interrupt button is responsible for this control internally.
    In some cases the cap that holds it only slightly shifts the squeezing to the pressure does not keep fixed.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• IsaacR

Tinkerer

So, other than the power interrupt button, there are not any voltage protectors, correct? From what I described, does anyone know what the problem could be?
  • MaClane
    Did you take the test I gave you?

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• IsaacR

Tinkerer

Would a power surge cause the power interrupt button to pop out of place?
  • MaClane
    Difficultly.
    But the internal energy change can be de-energized and the button when unpacked and pressed can remove this static charge as well as reset the battery.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• IsaacR

Tinkerer

My battery has a "reset button" that you press with a paper clip. Is that the same thing as the "power interrupt button"?
  • MaClane
    Do not.
    The power interrupter button locks any charge directly from the battery to the motherboard.
    The battery reset button performs an internal test and resets the battery cells.

Perform the following procedures:
    CALIBRATION AND BATTERY RESET

First, disable Quick Start in the power options and disconnect the notebook from the power outlet.

httpsikinja-imgcomgawker-mediaimageuploads--xWOn54Iw--c_scalef_autofl_progressiveq_80w_8001526844273443938480png

BATTERY CONTROLLER RESET
    Access the device manager and look for the "acpi-compatible control method battery driver" and "Microsoft AC Adapter" and give it up.
    Then restart the notebook for Windows to reinstall and remove any errors.

httpsimagesdrivereasycomwp-contentuploads201811img_5bfe7020cb7efjpg

Process to reset the battery

Disconnect the power adapter.
        Locate the hole to reset the battery in the bottom of the computer.
        He inserted a small clip into the hole. Hold the reset button for 05 seconds.
        Let the computer rest for 5 minutes without power.
        Plug in the power adapter and turn on the system.

External Battery Pack

If your notebook has an external battery, proceed as follows:
    1- Unplug the appliance from the mains and then disconnect the battery.
    2- Press the power button for thirty seconds, so that the static power is dissipated.
    3 - Replace the battery and turn the unit on.

Process for calibrating the battery

For this, you must turn off the device and give a 100% charge.
    Then unplug and use the battery until the battery runs out.
    Reload it as before.
    Repeat the process 3 times so that all cells are fully calibrated.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• IsaacR

Tinkerer

edited May 2019
    I apologize for any confusion, but I do not know what you are saying "not to do". I am asking several questions and only receiving the answer "do not". Can you please be more specific. Also, I mentioned earlier that my pc will not even turn on, so how would I uninstall the driver that you mention. Lastly, I don't feel that you are reading my questions, because I have received few answers.
  • MaClane
    Sorry!
    Google translator! :p

As far as your doubt the battery reset button and the power interrupt button are not the same thing and have different functionalities.

I passed the whole sequence of procedures.
    Start by resetting the battery.

If it does not, try to remove the battery and switch on the device without it.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• topcat7736
    topcat7736 Member Posts: 98 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Hi IssacR,
    Laptop motherboards have very tiny fuses soldered to them. But, you heard a pop noise which was probably the first mosfet exploding. It supplies power to the entire board and thus to the voltage regulators which will turn power on to the entire board. The charging light isn't on because not all the voltages are operating. You need to take the laptop to a repair shop which has surface mount component repair capability.
    Al