Can I upgraded Windows on my Aspire one Netbook GZ5 (AOA110/AOA150)

Gr8daggett
Gr8daggett Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Found my old Aspire one Netbook. Still boots up etc. but was wondering if I could upgrade Windows or do I have to stick with Windows XP

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good night Gr8daggett !

Only by acquiring a valid license.
    The free update period for Microsoft has now expired.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Good night Gr8daggett !

Only by acquiring a valid license.
    The free update period for Microsoft has now expired.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Benman2785
    Benman2785 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    i would recommend you use LUBUNTU instead of Windows (if you only want to surf and watch videos)
    Windows 7, 8 or 10 would be SO SLOW on your small little tiny CPU :(
    maybe you can mod a WinXP version so it runs a little faster - but Lubuntu on an small 60gb SSD will work very good
  • MaClane
    In this case, if you choose a Linux distro, such as Lubuntu, also choose the LXDE

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Minux1
    Minux1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Found my old Aspire one Netbook. Still boots up etc. but was wondering if I could upgrade Windows or do I have to stick with Windows XP
    I'm running Linux Mint v19.2 XFCE 32 bit on my AOA150 and it's running fine.
    Not a gamer by any stretch but solid performance.
    Serfs the net, sends emails, watches most movies and Youtube videos without a problem.
    I did NOT upgrade RAM or HDD.
    The modestly endowed Atom CPU is the weak link in the chain and maxes out long before RAM is even 75% used.
    These were never designed to be power machines.
    Linux Mint is downloadable for free with a comprehensive suite of programs in tow.
    No resource sapping AV software to install.
  • Minux1
    Minux1 Member Posts: 4 New User
    i would recommend you use LUBUNTU instead of Windows (if you only want to surf and watch videos)
    Windows 7, 8 or 10 would be SO SLOW on your small little tiny CPU :(
    maybe you can mod a WinXP version so it runs a little faster - but Lubuntu on an small 60gb SSD will work very good
    Tried w10 pro on the aoa150 and it ran like cold molasses.
    Boot up took 5 minutes.
    One of the lighter Linux distros is in order (Linux Mint XFCE, Lubuntu, etc.).