Helios 300 i7-8750H Power Throttling

Options
Scotthew
Scotthew Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Using this video as a guide, I'm trying to address heat problems by undervolting the CPU and its cache.
https://youtu.be/yNt9L3BWOFo

I used ThrottleStop to set the voltage offset for both CPU and cache to -125 mV.  This seemed to help significantly with temps; I went from 90-93°C to 76-82°C. Yay!

But now I'm having problems with power throttling. Under heavy load the CPU clock is capping out at around 2700-2900 MHz. I don't necessarily need the advertized 4100 MHz, but I would like more performance than I'm currently getting.

Is there a setting I've missed or something else I should try?  Or did I just get a crappy piece of silicon from the lotto?

Thanks!

Answers

• Scotthew

Tinkerer

Options
    * I said 4100 MHz advertized, but that's only for two active cores.  The 8750H should get 3900 MHz clocks with 6 active cores.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options
    Within ThrottleStop, can you post a screenshot of your 'FIVR' window settings? This is usually where the multipliers are addressed.

Also what Windows 10 Power Plan setting are you on? 
  • Scotthew

Tinkerer

Options
    tobimaru said:
    Within ThrottleStop, can you post a screenshot of your 'FIVR' window settings? This is usually where the multipliers are addressed.

Also what Windows 10 Power Plan setting are you on? 

Using the Balanced power plan as recommended by Bob in that video.