Not enough space to update Windows

Options
kelc01
kelc01 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 18 in 2020 Archives
I have an Aspire One Cloudbook 14. I get update notices all the time for Windows. I try to update and always get message that I don't have enough space. I've already reset my laptop to factory with latest updates. I still don't have enough space.  Any one able to help me here?

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Options
    Hi @kelc01,

CAUSE : Systems that have 32GB eMMC disk space may be notified that there is insufficient space while installing large Windows updates or upgrading to Windows 10.

SOLUTION: Connect a USB flash drive, external hard drive, or SD card with enough free space to install the update. The drive you connect must be 8 GB or larger (16 GB is recommended). You will need to keep this drive available if you want to use the go back feature in Windows 10 to return to your original operating system.

Note: Some models like the Aspire R3-131T and ES1-111m do not support using an SD card to install the update. You will need to use a USB flash drive when installing the Windows 10 update on these models.

SOURCE: https://us.answers.acer.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38036
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• kelc01
    kelc01 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Balatekie, Thank you for the info. I will try this. My next question is...what do I save on the flash?, is it the update? I'm not sure of what will happen or how to do - I'm not that tech savvy, I apologize.
  • Fentty
    Fentty Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Not enough space for Windows updates? Maybe you can try the following methods to free up more space for you:
    • Method 1: Remove Useless Files and Applications

When there is no enough space for Windows update, the first thing that you can try is to delete useless files to free up more space. However, it’s far from enough. If you have applications installed in your computer but never used or hardly used, uninstall them from your Control Panel.

• Method 2: Delete Temporary Files through Settings

Go to Settings > System > Storage, scroll down and click Temporary files in the right panel. Then you will see a list of files you can remove. Then check the boxes next to the files that you intend to delete and then click the button of Remove files to clean these files.

• Method 3: Clean Up C Drive to Free Up More Space

Open Disk Cleanup in your computer, select C drive as the target drive that you want to clean up and click OK. Under Files to delete, scroll down and choose useless and unnecessary files, and then click the button of OK to go on. Click Delete Files to confirm.

• Method 4: Empty Recycle Bin to Delete Files Permanently
    Right-tap Recycle Bin, and select Empty Recycle Bin in the menu.
    • Method 5: Clean C Drive by iSunshare System Genius

You can rely on a third party tool to clean the C drive when C drive doesn't have enough space for Windows 10 update. iSunshare System Genius is a professional tool for junk file cleanup and system optimization. You can make use of it to clean C drive and free up more space.

• Tinashaw30
    Tinashaw30 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Now that you you've already reset your laptop to factory settings, this means that junk files are not the main cause for not enough space, because factory resetting has erased a lot of system junks. What's the total capacity of your C drive? If your C drive capacity is small (less than 80GB), in addition to using an external storage device to complete Windows update, you can also extend your C drive to get enough space for Windows 10 update. Moreover, you can also perform a clean install of Windows 10 with the Media Creation Tool. A clean install wipes your C drive and then install the latest version of Windows 10. Updating in this way requires much less space. For more details, refer to this page: https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/not-enough-space-for-windows-10-update.html