Acer Nitro 5 secondary display - Acer Nitro AN515-51

Options
Strobber
Strobber Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited September 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Hey,
I have an Acer Nitro AN515-51 laptop which is currently connected to an external monitor (Acer KG271Cbmidpx) that supports 144Hz. Now I've tried several HDMI cables but I'm not sure if it's actually using 144Hz. A bigger issue however is that during some games I occasionally have a 1-2 second screen freeze.. An option I thought of is using the USB-C port to get a cable going to the Displayport of the screen. Before trying this I checked online but it doesn't seem like this laptop's USB-C port supports display is what I gathered from other posts. Is this true? If so how do I solve these screen freezes cause they're really annoying.. I don't have the issue if I just use my laptops monitor.

Thanks in advance

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Correct, the USB-C on the Nitro 5 does not support video out.

You're in a bit of a predicament because your model has a 1050 Ti with HDMI out only which will struggle to put out a full consistent 144Hz (if at all). Some low quality HDMI cables will not be able to display this, I think only up to 60FPS is officially supported. I believe this may be the screen freeze you are experiencing if it is not actual stutter from the GPU.

For my Nitro 5 I went for a middle option Acer GF246 which is 75FPS. HDMI doesn't struggle too hard to push this, and the GPU as well can maintain a steady 75FPS across many titles. If I plugged in a 144Hz display, I would probably see the same stuttering. The GPU and CPU temps would also rise as they work harder to push the higher framerate.

Try limiting the framerate in game to something like 90 and enable V-Sync. See if the stutter goes away.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In addition to the tips of fellow tobimaru, this notebook has an hdmi 2.0 input! Have you checked that your hdmi cable has the 2.0 specification?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    I put the ingame framerate to 60 already but it didn't resolve anything same with v-sync. Are there any other settings that could effect this? Should I put the PC itself to 60 fps? Currently both in display settings and in the nvidia control panel the refresh rate is set to 144 (scaling is performed on GPU rather than display is this an issue?).

Yes I bought a 2.0 HDMI cable or so the product claimed to be atleast.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is there any option that enables monitor overclocking? If so, try disabling it!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to see/change that i'm not knowledgeable in this matter at all.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried deactivating the refresh rate on the monitor?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    it was already off
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try to enable this option!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    Could the screen settings matter, like I see your OSD Timeout is 120 mine is on 10 but I have no idea what that does

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    nvm I realize what that does now, not relevant at all
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    OK! Did you check the frequency rate here?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    Yea thats what I mentioned before with display settings, it's set to 144 atm

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    What is the nvidia driver version? Freezing only when the refresh rate is at 144hz?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    no it happens in other occasions too 3.18
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried upgrading the notebook drivers on intel and nvidia websites?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    Drivers are up to date
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Is the monitor still freezing?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    yup but it might be the game at this point.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    In what games does this occur?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• Strobber

Tinkerer

Options
    World of Warcraft