I would Buy the AMD Acer Predator Helios 500 tomorrow if bios is updated for Ryzen 3000 series CPU

Options
2»

Answers

• 1GOG
    1GOG Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Options
    bobzdar said:
    NiteNinja said:
    I highly doubt the power delivery of the Helios 500 would handle the 16-core part. It's pretty weak in the VRM department (especially compared to the Asus GL702ZC, which Asus abandoned on launch so it didn't even get Ryzen+ support.) and it's only got a 330w power supply, which the Vega 56 uses at minimum 180w of it. 

However Ryzen 3K is supposed to offer a 15-20% improvement in IPC, and the 3700X is going to be a 4.4ghz 8-core 65W beast, so it would be a viable upgrade if the IPC improvements offer real world performance benefits. We will have to wait and see on that.
    The v56 uses (exactly) 120W as it's power limited to that. The cpu can run at  least 105W as that's what the 2700x draws and can be installed. I've run my 2700 at 4ghz all core at 1.35v without issues, and I'm sure it's drawing more than 105W at that setting.  So it should be able to handle any 3rd gen ryzen at stock speeds without issue.  Just need the bios to do it.
    Have you used stock memory preinstallated on Helios 500? Im tryed to do also 4ghz and 1.35V and my Laptop going to black screen...))  Is here any speciall tricks to use a overclocking? Can you please write them... Thanks!
  • bobzdar
    bobzdar Member Posts: 42 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    1GOG said:
    bobzdar said:
    NiteNinja said:
    I highly doubt the power delivery of the Helios 500 would handle the 16-core part. It's pretty weak in the VRM department (especially compared to the Asus GL702ZC, which Asus abandoned on launch so it didn't even get Ryzen+ support.) and it's only got a 330w power supply, which the Vega 56 uses at minimum 180w of it. 

However Ryzen 3K is supposed to offer a 15-20% improvement in IPC, and the 3700X is going to be a 4.4ghz 8-core 65W beast, so it would be a viable upgrade if the IPC improvements offer real world performance benefits. We will have to wait and see on that.
    The v56 uses (exactly) 120W as it's power limited to that. The cpu can run at  least 105W as that's what the 2700x draws and can be installed. I've run my 2700 at 4ghz all core at 1.35v without issues, and I'm sure it's drawing more than 105W at that setting.  So it should be able to handle any 3rd gen ryzen at stock speeds without issue.  Just need the bios to do it.
    Have you used stock memory preinstallated on Helios 500? Im tryed to do also 4ghz and 1.35V and my Laptop going to black screen...))  Is here any speciall tricks to use a overclocking? Can you please write them... Thanks!
    No tricks I'm aware of, just luck of the draw. I'm using the stock ram with tightened timings (to cl14).  I just use the included ryzen master to set everything.  Mine locks up at 4.1ghz unless I disable smt, but runs fine if I do, so that's my gaming profile as smt doesn't add much in gaming. Maybe try disabling smt and seeif it works at 4.0?
  • 1GOG

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, 

SMT for me is very important thing, while i rendering a 3D Models, Render Engine which i use, working on CPU. But yes without SMT it will work. I also will try in 2 weeks new RAM 64 Gb 2666 Hyperx Impact. Will write later if will be a nice results)
    Best regards

• blythe672
    blythe672 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Hey! Have you tried uninstalling the geforce experience itself?

Soulfullyyoursonlinebakery.com

• 1GOG

Tinkerer

Options
    blythe672 said:
    Hey! Have you tried uninstalling the geforce experience itself?

Soulfullyyoursonlinebakery.com

Ryzen CPUs Laptop haven`t Geforce Experience, they have AMD Radeon...
  • NiteNinja
    NiteNinja Member Posts: 50 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited July 2019
    Options
    I have nesting quote problems on mobile, oof.

Anyway, it's time! Ryzen 3000 is out! Anyone upgrading a desktop, who also can test to see if one will work in their Helios 500 first?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Options
    Someone is already taking care of that give a search for the thread its there :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• 1GOG

Tinkerer

Options
    xapim said:
    Someone is already taking care of that give a search for the thread its there :)
    Can you send us a link? Cannot find it..)