Acer Predator Helios 300, i7-8750H, GTX 1060 runs a bit hot?

Grawlix
Grawlix Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
When running Overwatch on low settings, my laptop still runs a bit hot.  I tried messing with the "Processor power management" settings, which seems to have helped with the overheating, but also led to some performance issues.

Laptop Specs:
* Acer Predator Helios 300 Gaming Laptop, 15.6in Full HD IPS Display
* Intel 6-Core i7-8750H
* GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DDR5 16GB DDR4
* 256GB NVMe SSD
* Model: PH315-5

Here's the results of my testing:
Test #1:
Processor Power Management Settings (plugged in):
* Minimum processor state: 100%
* System cooling policy: Active
* Maximum processor state: 100%

In-Game FPS: >144 fps consistently.
Max CPU Temp: 92 C
Max GPU Temp: 85 C

Test #2:
Processor Power Management Settings (plugged in):
* Minimum processor state: 0%
* System cooling policy: Active
* Maximum processor state: 99%

In-Game FPS: 120-140 fps (I'd like it to be over 144 to match the 144 HZ display)
Max CPU Temp: 72 C
Max GPU Temp: 78 C

Is there any way to achieve >144 fps without hitting the low 90s for CPU temp?  Or is that a fine CPU temperature (note that this was after only one game).

Answers

• fejerm
    fejerm Member Posts: 97 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Unfortunately the Helios 300 does not have a great cooling system and both the cpu and gpu are linked together with the same heatpipes so they are also heating each other. 
    There are 3 ways to lower the cpu temp:
    - repaste the CPU with a better quality thermal paste. I recommend MX4. Many people like Kryonaut too which can also be good. Best performance could be achieved with liquid metal like Thermal Grizzly COnductonaut, however even if you are an experienced computer technician, I do not recommend using it! The reason why I do not recommend is that the surface of the 8750H's die is not perfectly flat like it was with the previous gen CPUs. You can put LM there, however after carrying around it might spill out because as I said the die is not perfectly flat. 

- enable Coolboost in Acer Quick Access

- undervolt with Throttlestop. It is easy and you can set it up in 5 minutes for it to automatically undervolt when the Windows starts. 

With these steps you can bring down the CPU temp under games to around 80C, maybe even lower. 
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    There is a correlation to high refresh rates and increased CPU temps. I notice this as well on my laptop when over 100FPS the CPU temperature builds as it fights to keep up with the increased work load.

A fine line for my personal laptop is 75FPS. IF I lock FPS to 75, the CPU sits around 65-70C. Using V-SYNC will also cap FPS to whatever your refresh rate is, and limit CPU 'overwork' of additional frames.

One sure thing you can do (if you haven't already) is improve the cooling of both CPU/GPU and reapply a quality thermal paste. This will drop your temperature across the board, and give you more overhead to run that 144Hz you are after.
  • noooooooo
    noooooooo Member Posts: 1 New User
    I do a combination of a few things, but still not ideal temps are seen
    - repasted with MX4 (both CPU / GPU)
    - added rubber feet (~1/2in) on the back side to raise the laptop to allow better air flow in
    - Use Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to lower CPU voltage (using offset). Mine seems to be stable with off set of -0.175v, and also lower the power limit for turbo. some games are stable with -0.190v and some aren't so I just use settings per game.
    - limit fps on games - I know having 144hz panel makes me wanna use the full 144hz, but i'd rather choose non-choppy gameplay (when sudden thermal throttling happens, etc) at play at 100fps than 144hz fluctuating down to 40-50 or worse during bad thermal throttling.

Of course I would've liked better cooling perf from the Helios 300 (8750h / 1060), but this model is at the price point for a purpose... so I don't think I can complain too much.

Also, running a cooling pad under helps a lot. With a cooling pad, the CPU temps tend to stay around ~75C (without, around ~85-90).

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,253 Pathfinder
    edited October 2019
    The solution for high temps on all gaming laptops (who didnt won the silicone lottery) its simple optimize windows then undervolt with TS and repaste it with kryonaut als bare in mind if you use external display/have many external devices drawing power from the usb ports without a hub or not self powered hub i suggest to get a good self powered usb hub like for ex an anker expensive but great regarding cooling pads its an option theres no need but if going that way i recommend the coolermaster notepal xl  but as long as you have the laptop back a few inches lifted from the surface its all fine just dont let the inlet and airflow vents get blocked in anyway :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/