Acer Predator 15 G9-591-70VM not turning on, how can I resolve this?

Options
LeighD
LeighD Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hello,

I have the exact same issue with my laptop as the person in the link I provided below. Where the red around the power button is turning on and one of the little LED lights with the lightbulb shaped symbol turning on but nothing else happening. The laptop is not starting up.

I was experiencing the problem of the laptop suddenly shutting off when moved while unplugged, before I tried the battery reset that I read about on another comment here, and then this happened. How can I resolve the issue? Would having the battery replaced, resolve the issue? With my current location, sending it to Acer might be too costly to do. It's a Predator 15 G9-591-70VM 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547044/predator-g9-593-7-wont-turn-on?breakffcache=ced69

Thank you

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK. Good. Like I said earlier, now search for a small spring-loaded normally off switch. It's sometimes located on the mainboard near the memory module slots. There'd also be a molded protrusion or pimple inside the bottom cover aligned with this switch that is designed to push against it to keep it the 'on' state when the cover is properly assembled. If the cover is slightly misaligned or not pressing hard enough against the switch, it'll unexpectedly cut power to the mainboard  when the laptop is physically disturbed or moved. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This is the exact location of the switch button, which Mr Jacke refers to:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • LeighD
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hello,

I just wanted to say thank you for helping me out with my laptop, I really appreciate the it. I finally got the electrical tape to apply to the load spring, and it worked. I wanted to share some photos showing that the load spring is easily accessible by removing the hard drive cover, and not the entire back cover. And all you have to do is apply the tape over a section of the back cover that presses it. Hopefully these pics will be helpful to someone else. 

Thank you again.

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    Thank you for your response to this matter. Unfortunately, the current issue is that the laptop will not power on at all. 
    When I press the power button, the only thing that happens is that the red light for the power button comes on, and the tiny red light under the "light bulb" icon. Nothing else happens, no sound or anything.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Try this. Press and hold power button to extinguish all lights. Unplug the charger. Rapidly but gently insert & withdraw a paper clip from the battery reset pinhole a dozen or so times to try to clean the contacts on the spring-loaded normally-on reset switch. Plug the charger back in. Hope for the best. Then press the power button. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    Thank you for that. I realised that with the laptop plugged in, the orange light under the Battery icon comes on along with the red light under the Light Bulb and the red light on the power button. However, still no light under what I believe is the Hard-drive icon. Nor any fan noise like it is starting up.

I also just noticed that with the laptop off, I plugged in the charger, but it took some moving around of the laptop for the orange light to coming on and show that the laptop is charging. It was the same way I had to move it around until I found a spot on the bed that the laptop would start up, when it was shutting off suddenly. I assume it has to be completely levelled or something.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>I also just noticed that with the laptop off, I plugged in the charger, but it took some moving around of the laptop for the orange light to coming on and show that the laptop is charging.>>>

OK. This certainly sounds like there may yet be another spring-loaded normally-OFF safety switch on the mainboard that is either slightly misaligned with or not being pressed hard enough by a plastic protrusion inside the bottom cover. The protrusion is supposed to keep the switch ON and mainboard powered when properly assembled.  You must remove the bottom cover to check for the switch or the case protrusion. The fix is usually by taping a spacer on the cover protrusion or switch button so it presses harder against the switch to keep it turned ON. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    Hello JackE,

I finally got around to opening up the laptop. I changed the CR2032 battery and it finally turned on, whilst plugged in. However, when I plugged out the charger and tried turning it on, it would not turn on. None of the lights came on this time. Could it still be the 'protrusion' that you mentioned in your previous response? Or maybe I need to change the laptop battery? Although the Acer Care Center application claims that the battery is 'good.'
    If you believe it is still the protrusion, do you have a photo or video that I could follow to find it and apply the spacer as needed.I look forward to your suggestions and thank you for your help.
  • JackE
    Options
    If it still turns on with charger plugged in then the battery is suspect despite the ACER care center app. Try this. Go to the elevated command prompt.  Enter 'powercfg /batteryreport'. Then return to the desktop. Open file explorer. Then search for' battery-report.html' in the c:\windows\system32\ sub-folder. Double-click to open it in the browser. Compare design capacity with full charge capacity. Post screenshot if possible. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    Hi
    Sorry for the delayed reply. Had a busy few weeks, and my work computer, Acer Aspire v3-571 was giving trouble where the power keeps chipping in and out when it is nearly finished charging. As for the Predator, I did the battery report as requested, hopefully it will attach. I did manage to turn it on without it being plugged in, but it had to sit in a specific on the desk it seemed. I am guessing where specific portion of the base has to sit on the desk and not hanging off. Before I was trying to power it on while on the bed. I guess the surface was not even enough.

• JackE
    Options
    >>>it had to sit in a specific on the desk it seemed.>>>

OK. The MS battery report agrees with the ACER CareCtr report that the battery seems to be OK. So from your description, it sures sounds like the  safety switch is cutting power to the mainboard --- or the power button board is faulty or its cable not fully seated to its mainboard connector.  Unfortunately, I haven't yet been able to find exactly where the safety switch is located on the G9's mainboard in my documentation. It should be a small spring-loaded normally off switch sometimes located on the mainboard near the memory module slots. A protrusion or pimple molded inside the bottom cover is designed to push against this safety switch into the 'on' state when the cover is properly assembled. If the cover is slightly misaligned or not pressing hard enough against the switch, it'll unexpectedly cut power to the mainboard in the fashion you describe. Whether the switch or  the power board, it means disassembling the laptop to get full access to the mainboard. Not a trivial job but I can try to walk you thru it if you're game. Jack E/ NJ          

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    Yeah, I am up for it. Hopefully it won't be more than lifting off the back cover again to find it :)
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. First remove the HDD & RAM door. Then remove the HDD & m.2 card. Then remove 17 screws as shown below. Then use a credit card (or a putty knife for a stubborn case) to pry the bottom cover off. You will probably break a few plastic catches but nothing that the 17 (or fewer) screws & color-coordinated duct tape can't handle when putting it all back together again. GO! Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    OK, I can do that. What will you need me to do next?
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    OK. Good. Like I said earlier, now search for a small spring-loaded normally off switch. It's sometimes located on the mainboard near the memory module slots. There'd also be a molded protrusion or pimple inside the bottom cover aligned with this switch that is designed to push against it to keep it the 'on' state when the cover is properly assembled. If the cover is slightly misaligned or not pressing hard enough against the switch, it'll unexpectedly cut power to the mainboard  when the laptop is physically disturbed or moved. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    OK, and to be certain, this would not be the same button that I would use to "bleed out" the battery through the pin hole, right?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,767 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    This is the exact location of the switch button, which Mr Jacke refers to:

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    @Sambatraube Follow this topic too!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• JackE
    Options
    Correct, it is not the battery reset button. If you find a switch like that which egydiocoelho   encircled in black, that would likely be the safety switch. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• LeighD
    Options
    OK awesome, thank you guys. What would be the best thing to place on it to apply the necessary pressure? Will a piece of folded paper be suitable?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Some layers of electrical tape would suffice!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• BFGTECH
    BFGTECH Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options
    There is some chance of destroying the motherboard I have the same problem I just bought a used acer predator worked well and the next day I got the same problem but the laptop has a lot of dust on the fans I was afraid of the motherboard please help me.LeighD did you have any solution to suggest me we have the same problem.