Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Lines on screen, possible hardware issue

Thw0rtedThw0rted Posts: 4Member New User
edited May 14 in Nitro and Aspire Gaming
I have a Nitro 5 (AN515-51-55WL) that we bought last November.  A few weeks ago it started showing some flickering black horizontal lines that cover the bottom inch or so of the display.  They appear when the computer is turned on, and usually start to disappear over time.  They go away from the top down, covering less of the display, until I can't see them anymore.  I booted to the UEFI / BIOS screen and still see the lines, so I'm confident it's not a software problem.  The laptop has not been dropped or damaged.

For reference, it's a US warranty but we bought it overseas on a US Army base, and would be getting it fixed here in Germany.  We have an extended warranty through the on-post store but I figured they'd probably like us to try to get support from the manufacturer first.

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 16,662ACE Trailblazer
    After the lines all disappear, what happens when you close the lid and immediately lift it back up again? Jack E/NJ
  • Thw0rtedThw0rted Posts: 4Member New User
    JackE said:
    After the lines all disappear, what happens when you close the lid and immediately lift it back up again? Jack E/NJ
    Sorry I never got back about this, I did test this and it does not cause the display to change.  It does eventually fix itself, but open/closing the lid doesn't make that happen any faster.  I also tried a battery reset (30 seconds pressing the reset button with a paper clip without power, wait 5 minutes, plug back in) but that also made no difference.

First we stopped using it for a month or so, then it stopped doing it at all for a while, then it was doing it but my daughter was off school for the summer so she didn't want to send it in and be without her "fun" computer.  Now that she's back in school I'd like to get it fixed.  Do I have to send it in for service?
  • The Acer service center in Germany can check the device for free and then you can choose whether or not to fix the device. However, there seems to be a problem with the edp cable. Can you check these two points?

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
    Wow, thanks for such a quick response!  I'm comfortable poking around inside the system but want to make sure I don't invalidate the warranty.  Is it OK for me to open the system?
  • JackEJackE Posts: 16,662ACE Trailblazer
    Before you go poking around inside, does HDMI out to a TV screen show the same behavior? Jack E/NJ
  • I suggest you contact Acer technical support in Germany and ask how the international warranty works. However, I believe they will not accept, because the international warranty would only be valid if you were traveling outside the home country of the device, ie you should live in the United States. Also, as I informed you before, the Acer service center in Germany usually do a free device check as well.
    Check out colleague jacke's suggestion as well.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
    OK, I will try the HDMI hookup next time it happens.  I bought it on an American military base in Germany with an aftermarket warranty through the store, so I'm talking to them now about what they'd like me to do if it needs repair.  I'd just as soon fix it myself, but I want to make sure I don't shut myself out of (3rd-party) warranty repair in the future.