Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

My Chromebook CB5-571 flashes with Chrome logo and does not settle down to allow log in

ele81946ele81946 Posts: 2Member New User
This Chromebook is out of warranty.  Is this an issue that I can learn to fix?  If so, where can I find the instruction as archive search does up come up empty.
If this require sending back to Acer, is it worth fixing, or just buy a new one.  My use is pretty basic.  
Thanks,
john

Best Answer

• JackEJackE Posts: 14,769 Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Hmmm. Can you try it on friend's HDMI TV? The reason is that if it still flickers on the TV screen, it's likely the soldered graphics chip on the mainboard is failing. If the TV doesn't flicker, it's more likely the video ribbon cable from opening/closing the lid too much. Replacing the ribbon is cheap. Fixing the mainboard isn't cheap. Jack E/NJ

FAQ & Answers

• JackEJackE Posts: 14,769ACE Trailblazer
    Does an HDMIed TV screen flash the same way? Jack E/NJ
  • ele81946ele81946 Posts: 2Member New User
    Jack,  I have not tried hooking my Chromebook to TV.  I just checked the home TV and it does not have an HDMI input to test.
  • JackEJackE Posts: 14,769ACE Trailblazer
    Accepted Answer
    Hmmm. Can you try it on friend's HDMI TV? The reason is that if it still flickers on the TV screen, it's likely the soldered graphics chip on the mainboard is failing. If the TV doesn't flicker, it's more likely the video ribbon cable from opening/closing the lid too much. Replacing the ribbon is cheap. Fixing the mainboard isn't cheap. Jack E/NJ