Frequent DPC_Watchdog_Violation blue screens - cannot switch to Legacy Bios on Predator PH315-51

lions6234
lions6234 Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello! I have had my predator PH315-51 Laptop for a few months now, and have recently experienced frequent blue screen crashes marked DPC_Watchdog_Violation after roughly 10 minutes of use. I have checked the forums for ways to fix this on my end, but have so far found no success. One solution which had me download the Intel SSD Toolbox and update Intel SSD NVMe firmware managed to stave off the problem for a few weeks. However, the problem has since resurfaced. I have heard that switching the BIOS to legacy mode can fix the issue. However, the option to switch to legacy mode never shows up whenever I attempt to access the BIOS and the only option that appears is the option to keep it in UEFA mode. Is there anything I can do to access legacy mode? Would that even fix the issue, or is the only option to send my laptop in for repairs (if I do need to send this in for repairs, what would I need to be repaired?)?

In any case, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Answers

• Hello! Have you tried upgrading the drivers to the latest versions? What is the uefi version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited May 2019
    DPC Watchdog Violation (error code: DPC_Watchdog_Violation) is a common issue in the Windows operating system. It's occurred due to some specific reasons, like unsupported SSD firmware, old SSD driver version, hardware incompatibility issues, or system files are corrupted.
    So its either one of those and win10 seems to be a nightmare for bsods unfortunately we are stuck with it because downgrade its a bit tricky but it can be done but then its the headache to find compatible drivers in some cases

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• lions6234
    Hello! Have you tried upgrading the drivers to the latest versions? What is the uefi version?
    I have upgraded the drivers to the latest version. Not sure which uefi version I have. How would I find out?
  • XdxD
    XdxD Member Posts: 1,583 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    lions6234 said:
    Hello! Have you tried upgrading the drivers to the latest versions? What is the uefi version?
    I have upgraded the drivers to the latest version. Not sure which uefi version I have. How would I find out?
    He means to ask you about your UEFI BIOS version. Use Acer Care Center to know this information.
    Trying to do my best here - Your happy Predator owner =)!
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    lions6234 said:
    Hello! I have had my predator PH315-51 Laptop for a few months now, and have recently experienced frequent blue screen crashes marked DPC_Watchdog_Violation after roughly 10 minutes of use. I have checked the forums for ways to fix this on my end, but have so far found no success. One solution which had me download the Intel SSD Toolbox and update Intel SSD NVMe firmware managed to stave off the problem for a few weeks. However, the problem has since resurfaced. I have heard that switching the BIOS to legacy mode can fix the issue. However, the option to switch to legacy mode never shows up whenever I attempt to access the BIOS and the only option that appears is the option to keep it in UEFA mode. Is there anything I can do to access legacy mode? Would that even fix the issue, or is the only option to send my laptop in for repairs (if I do need to send this in for repairs, what would I need to be repaired?)?

On some models like g3-572 there is legacy mode available. But this setting even shows up only after disabling secure boot.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • lions6234
    XdxD said:
    lions6234 said:
    He means to ask you about your UEFI BIOS version. Use Acer Care Center to know this information.
    Gotcha. Current version is V1.19
  • lions6234
    sri369 said:
    lions6234 said:

On some models like g3-572 there is legacy mode available. But this setting even shows up only after disabling secure boot.
    Secure boot is already disabled and legacy mode is still not showing up. 
  • This error can also be caused by some faulty driver! Have you tried updating drivers on intel and nvidia websites?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lions6234
    egydiocoelho a dit :
    This error can also be caused by some faulty driver! Have you tried updating drivers on intel and nvidia websites?
    I had not, but I am now in the process of doing so. Good suggestion! I'll let you know how that works.