ph315-51-78np compatibility with samsung evo 970 plus? Not showing up when trying to boot windows OS

BigE
BigE Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have seen a couple places on the forms here that make it seem that the samsung evo 970 plus should be/is compatible with the acer predator ph315-51-78np. However, when I attempt to swap it into the PCIe M.2 slot, it will not show up when I try to boot windows on it. I figure I must be doing something wrong, but I am not sure what.

so far I have updated the BIOS and downloaded the drivers off the samsung website. I plan to try to load the drivers from a usb in the windows boot up screen to see if that solves the issue. Can anyone tell me if the ph315-51-78np is compatible with the 970 plus? I have the 1tb version. If it is, what am I missing?

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Does the drive appear in disk management or in BIOS?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• Hazmat02
    Hazmat02 Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited May 2019
    I have a samsung 970 evo and it works great. If your trying to move your OS  to it from another drive i would suggest using the program macrium reflect to create a clone your current drive and OS onto your 970 then boot into bios and select your 970 as your main boot source and partition the extra space. When i switched my OS to the 970. 

I asked a question about swapping out your main drive a couple months ago. Here is the answers that i got, i followed the video in the posts and had no problems. 

I believe my drive is just the regular 970 and not the 970 plus, however i dont know if it would make a difference, but its worth a shot. Good luck! 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/555028/difficulty-dangers-of-swapping-out-your-main-drive#latest

Edit: if you cant get it to work it may be that its not compatible, i had no problems getting my 970 to work you might just have to return it if possible and deal with the slower read write speads although theyre still pretty quit. Here are my read write speeds on my 970. 

https://community.acer.com/en/post/quote/555529/Comment_618897
  • BigE
    Ven98: It does appear in BIOS, as for disk management, I can't get that far as I am swapping out the only hard drive I have. What does this mean?

Always post the following characteristics of the device:
    Predator PH315-51   -Model number
    evo 970 Plus 1TB -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    Intel i7 8750H  -CPU
    Nvidia 1060-GPU
    Windows 10 -Operating system
  • BigE
    Hazmat02: It's awesome to see you comment, as your comments were one of the comments I noted as showing it should work ( Although I did notice that you didn't use the Plus version too, but I am hoping that is not the issue.) 

Your links and videos are much appreciated, but it will take me some time to try to implement, as sadly I don't have a jump drive large enough. I do have a 8 TB external, if the software will work for that, but I already have stuff on it (not sure that makes a difference) . I will try what you recommended with the cloning, but I probably won't get to it today, and because I appreciate how fast you two responded, I don't want to leave you hanging. Thanks for the advice, and I will keep you posted via this thread. If you think of anything else that may help please let me know. Thanks again.
  • Hazmat02
    Hazmat02 Member Posts: 57 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Sounds good! Let us know what happens!