Trouble when updating acer aspire switch 10 to windows 10 64 bit.

haavit
haavit Member Posts: 5 New User
Hi, if anyone can help me, for the last couple of days I have been tried everything to get my computer to boot to my usb. My aspire switch 10 has a 64x processor, but a 32x version of windows 10, I installed it a couple of years back. 
I have tried- 
1. Disabling Secure boot.
2. Formatting my USB with Rufus.
3.Plugging in my USB into the side of the screen, not the keyboard. (its a two in one laptop)
4. I have gone into settings/update and security/recovery/advanced startup and boot from usb from there. It ends up saying that this pc has to bootable option.
5. I have tried hitting f12 on startup to get into boot menu, but it only says that I can boot from windows. 
6. I've tried another USB, didn't work.
7. I've tried to install 8.1 instead of 10.
8. I decided to try to boot from 8.1 32 bit.
9. I have turned off and on like every option under f2 when I boot up, including changing the boot order into every combination, but it keeps sending me to the regular windows.
This is a pain in my *****, but if anyone can help me it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon haavit !

Is your Bios in UEFi mode?
    If so, your OS should be x64 and not x32.

In any way, from a read here:

https://superuser.com/questions/878637/how-to-boot-acer-aspire-switch-10-from-external-media

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• haavit
    edited May 2019
    I can see it in the boot menu now, however when I boot from it, windows just opens normally. I tried moving the boot order for the .efi to boot first but same outcome. And yes I have UEFI, I didn't mention that. I installed a 32x version of windows 10 on my laptop a few years ago, I don't remember why though.
  • haavit
    edited May 2019
    Thanks again.
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    The OS installation in 32-bit UEFi mode depends on the Bios proprietary support.
    Some have compatibility mode, but it is a feature that has already passed.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    IIRC there were several people going through this a while ago and it was decided that the BIOS would only allow booting from a 32bit image. There no performance gain in trying to run it in 64bit mode because there's only the 2GB of memory.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • DanFuerth
    DanFuerth Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2020
    It is very easy to install windows 8 32 bit and Windows 10 32 bit on this unit. However this unit uses UEFI bios which is locked at 2 go of ram so Windows 8 or 10 64 bit will refuse to install on this unit. If you try to run the installer it will fail even inside windows 10.
    The reason is that the UEFI of the Acer Switch 10 requires the use of the  Bootia32.EFI or it will refuse to boot from USB flash drive or USB CD-ROM so only Windows 8 32 bit had the proper EFI folder with the Bootia32.efi file.
    The USB boot flash drive must have this signed bootia32.efi file or it won’t boot after disabling secure boot ( after setting supervisor password) . Enabling the F12 boot menu is useless as the bootia32.efi is required so that the UEFI bios can finally boot the signed Microsoft bootia32.efi file.
    Windows 10 32 bit should NEVER be installed over Windows 8 on this unit because it uses more power and higher CPU MHz while idling. I am uploading a tutorial video to YouTube so everyone can see how this all works. 
  • DanFuerth
    DanFuerth Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited March 2020
    Here is the YouTube Tutorial for installing Windows 8.1 using an OTG USB cable and Flash drive on top of Windows 10 on the Acer Switch 10 2gb ram . This requires some steps but it is 100% effective. Windows 10 32 bit is not as fast as Windows 8 1 on the Acer switch 10, in fact Windows 10 uses 200 MHz more at idle. Adding in the spyware nonsense with your local searches being exposed online,  time to owdgo back to Windows  8.1 now.
    Link
    https://youtu.be/avHWOZ32BnA
  • Linki
    Linki Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi, maybe somebody worked it out :)
    Isn't it possible to set the BIOS in order to let the 64bit Win10 be installed? I looked for the drivers, and there are 64bit options here on acer for this computer, and the processor has a 64bit architecture, so phisicaly it would be possible? But is it really possible?
    In theory 2gb RAM meets the requirements for a 64bit Win10, and I wanted to update becouse there are programes without 32bit support anymore...
    I read that somebody installed a 64bit Linux, but I would need Win10
    Thks
This discussion has been closed.