Acer Aspire E5-576-514F Black Screen

Options
Mirou_hml
Mirou_hml Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited October 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,
I was using my pc and suddenly the screen went black I couldn't do anything so I powered it off, when I turned it on again the screen is totally black nothing is shown.
After searching in this community I found out that it might be a BIOS problem so all I have to do is reset or update the bios, for this I need an .fd file and an .exe file.
I have downloaded the BIOS version: 1.49 and exctracted it I found some files I don't know what to rename since there are multiple .fd files and what to copy to the usb drive, I hope someone can help me out with this, and thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,582 Trailblazer
    Options
    Don't try to flash. First try to turn the screen on with the FN+F6 toggle key combo. If no luck, then HDMI out to a TV screen and try to turn the TV on with the FN+F5 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    Don't try to flash. First try to turn the screen on with the FN+F6 toggle key combo. If no luck, then HDMI out to a TV screen and try to turn the TV on with the FN+F5 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ
    Hello JackE thank you for your reply,
    I have tried what you have suggested nothing worked.
  • JackE
    Options
    Press and hold the power button till the machine completely shuts off. Then remove the charger. Look for a pinhole with a battery symbol on the bottom of the laptop. If it exists, gently press a paper clip into the hole for about 10 seconds. Then let the system rest for about 15 minutes. Then plug the charger back in and try to turn the machine back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    >>>I was using my pc and suddenly the screen went black >>>

What application were you using? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    I was in Kodi scanning the library of a new hard disk that I inserted in my laptop using the caddy.
  • JackE
    Options
    For some reason your graphics adapter hardware seems to have been damaged during this Kodi session. My reasoning is that it's also not showing any HDMI output to a TV set. We can try a BIOS flash but it may fail if the hardware is damaged.

You should search for a file with a BIN, FD, WPD or ROM extension in the extracted BIOS ZIP you downloaded from the ACER site. If you find the file, it should first be renamed ZAA.FD and copied as the only file onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick and inserted into your laptop. Then, while pressing and holding the FN+ESC keys, you turn on your laptop and look for either HDD or USB LED light blinking activity. Release the FN+ESC keys and wait for the machine to automatically shutdown. Then you can try to turn the machine back on.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    JackE said:
    For some reason your graphics adapter hardware seems to have been damaged during this Kodi session. My reasoning is that it's also not showing any HDMI output to a TV set. We can try a BIOS flash but it may fail if the hardware is damaged.

You should search for a file with a BIN, FD, WPD or ROM extension in the extracted BIOS ZIP you downloaded from the ACER site. If you find the file, it should first be renamed ZAA.FD and copied as the only file onto a FAT32 formatted USB stick and inserted into your laptop. Then, while pressing and holding the FN+ESC keys, you turn on your laptop and look for either HDD or USB LED light blinking activity. Release the FN+ESC keys and wait for the machine to automatically shutdown. Then you can try to turn the machine back on.

Jack E/NJ 
    Okay I will try it and get back to you.
  • Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    The blue led of the laptop starts blinking right after it's on and the fan starts for a second then it stops entirely the screen is still black.
  • Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    is there a way to know if my graphics hardware is the on that is damaged? (I can open up the laptop)
  • JackE
    Options
    No. It's a graphics chip soldered to the mainboard. Not user serviceable.
    Now try renaming the file on the USB stick as ZAA_x64.FD and do the FN+ESC process again.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    Okay trying..
  • Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    nothing happened I tried changing the usb drive too but nothing has changed.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Remove charger. Remove 3 screws to open the HDD cover as shown below. On the right hand side, re-seat the RAM modules a few times to clean contacts to the mainboard. Then re-assemble and try to turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    okay I've done it, nothing changed.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. Remove the charger again. Gently insert the paperclip into the battery reset pinhole but put a weight on the paperclip to keep the reset switch open for a few hours instead of only 10 seconds. Then plug the charger back in an turn it on again. If still no success, the next step will be removing the back cover and battery pack to access and remove the BIOS CMOS lithium coin cell. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    okay I will see thank you for your time.
  • Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    I tried those yesterday nothing has changed :/
  • JackE
    Options
    Any further steps to disassemble the machine carries significant risk of damaging other components with no guarantee of success.  I think it would be wise for you to email or phone the authorized Algiers service center for their evaluation and repair estimate. If, as I suspect, the graphics chip has failed then a mainboard solder reflow or replacement would be options. It's possible do a mainboard reflow yourself but is quite involved and again carries significant risk without a professional evaluation. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    okay thank you for your time.
  • Mirou_hml

Tinkerer

Options
    As I checked it, they said it's permanently closed :/ is there another place I can go to?