Can I upgrade Pentium P6000 processor with core i7 640m?

FahadKhan
FahadKhan Member Posts: 2 New User
Acer Aspire 5741z, Pentium P6000 processor-64 bit machine with 3GB ram is the laptop that I own. It is an out dated laptop but I love it, don't want to buy another one so I wanted to upgrade it but not sure if this will work or not. Should I try replacing this processor with i7 640m? and If it won't work then what is the best solution to upgrade my laptop for better performance. I saw the replacement procedure on youtube where a man was replacing celeron processor with an i5 then with i7, it worked better as he had mentioned but I am unsure about the success of this replacement. if it can happen then what are the aspects for me?

Best Answer

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good night FahadKhan !

First, your processor socket does not support i3, i5, and i7 generations.

In addition to the processor is solved the motherboard not allowing exchanges or upgrades.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Good night FahadKhan !

First, your processor socket does not support i3, i5, and i7 generations.

In addition to the processor is solved the motherboard not allowing exchanges or upgrades.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• FahadKhan
    FahadKhan Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thank you so much for your response.
  • Strat3gy
    Strat3gy Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'm not sure if you still have this laptop but you've been misinformed, I can say with 100% certainty that you can upgrade from a Pentium P6000 to an i7-640m, the member thst answered above made it seem as though you were suggesting something absurd when in fact you already had your answer in the video that you previously viewed, both processors utilize the same socket and they both have the same tdp, frankly I merely joined the community to leave a more accurate response, it may not prove helpful to you but perhaps someone else may have the same inquiry as U and it may help them
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,255 Trailblazer
    You are correct, the socket and chipset support Arrandale processors, what Intel now counts as 1st gen. The i3, i5 and i7 CPUs with the same TDP will drop right in, and since the CPU is socketed it is replaceable. Not that it helps much, a much better upgrade is to replace the HDD with a SSD and since the model is just new enough to have SATA that is also doable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,279 Trailblazer
    edited February 2022
    FahadKhan said:
    Acer Aspire 5741z, Pentium P6000 processor-64 bit machine with 3GB ram is the laptop that I own. It is an out dated laptop but I love it, don't want to buy another one so I wanted to upgrade it but not sure if this will work or not. Should I try replacing this processor with i7 640m? and If it won't work then what is the best solution to upgrade my laptop for better performance. I saw the replacement procedure on youtube where a man was replacing celeron processor with an i5 then with i7, it worked better as he had mentioned but I am unsure about the success of this replacement. if it can happen then what are the aspects for me?
    Also and as additional advice, have a look here Intel Pentium P6000 CPU (spec #: SLBWB - Stepping C2 - CPU ID 020655) for all the specs and different upgrades for your P6000 CPU. As its been said above you can upgrade this CPU to the max top of the range Intel i7-640M CPU (spec #SLBTN - Stepping K0 - CPU ID 020655) CPU which will give you about 90% relative performance improvement, as it also runs at the same TDP of 35W so no extra heating will be generated by the new i7-640M which is a critical factor in these laptops

Your Intel Core P6000 CPU